Register to reply

Ampere's Law

by Emz19
Tags: ampere
Share this thread:
Emz19
Apr16-14, 11:30 AM
P: 11
Could someone give me a word definition of Ampere's Law as I have googled some definitions and they all seem a bit confusing. Thanks :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
ZapperZ
Apr16-14, 11:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by Emz19 View Post
Could someone give me a word definition of Ampere's Law as I have googled some definitions and they all seem a bit confusing. Thanks :)
You need to tell us what you found, and what exactly that you found "a bit confusing". Otherwise, we might give you the same definition and your confusion would not have been solved.

Tell us what you know, what you have understood, and what exactly you didn't.

Zz.
UltrafastPED
Apr16-14, 11:40 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Try https://www.iit.edu/arc/workshops/pdfs/Amperes_law.pdf

Or http://www.maxwells-equations.com/am...mperes-law.php

Ask again if these are not clear enough; personally I prefer the mathematical definitions - they are what I would actually use.

BOAS
Apr16-14, 11:41 AM
P: 264
Ampere's Law

For any current geometry that produces a magnetic field that does not change in time,

[itex]\Sigma B_{||}\Delta l = \mu_{0} I[/itex]

Where [itex] \Delta l[/itex] is a small segment of length along a closed path of arbitrary shape around the current, [itex]B_{||}[/itex] is the component of the magnetic field parallel to [itex] \Delta l[/itex], I is the net current passing through the surface bounded by the path, and [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex] is the permeability of free space. The sum of all these must be taken around the closed path.

Personally, I find the best way to understand is to do.
ZapperZ
Apr16-14, 11:43 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
UltrafastPED, BOAS: aren't you at all curious to figure out first at what level the OP could comprehend?

Zz.
BOAS
Apr16-14, 11:49 AM
P: 264
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
UltrafastPED, BOAS: aren't you at all curious to figure out first at what level the OP could comprehend?

Zz.
On reflection, finding out the level to pitch an answer at first would be most useful.

Will try to use this approach on any further questions I feel capable of assisting with.
Emz19
Apr16-14, 06:23 PM
P: 11
Thank you everyone. I am revising for an exam and i think i was just overloaded with the different ways of defining Ampere's Law on google and I just wanted the easiest way to state it as well as a way to best comprehend it. I have found all of your answers helpful and BOAS I now know for sure what each notation means. UltrafastPED thank you, those links are a great help and ZapperZ thank you for your concern to help me in the best way possible. I am sorted now, thanks guys :)

Register to reply