Find the Best Algebra 1 Textbook for You!

In summary: AT Club offers a great online course to help prepare for the GMAT:In summary, the best algebra 1 textbook is "Elementary Algebra for College Students" by Allen R. Angel.
kuahji
What would be a good algebra 1 textbook? I'm out of high school & aced algebra in high school. However it has been four years... & well I don't remember anything I learned from the classes. I went to amazon.com & checked for algebra 1 textbooks (figure I might as well start from the beginning, I can skip parts that come back to me). On amazon.com a lot of the textbooks got negative reviews. I'm not sure if people just weren't comprehending what they were reading or the textbooks just weren't written well. Anyway, if you have any advice or a good textbook name, please let me know. I tried to search forums to see if anyone else brought up the question but I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your time. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a book, and I know that is what you are asking for. But http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm" is an excellent resource for algebra topics. Check it out. It might be all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great link, thanks. This may be just what I need to pick out the sections I have totally forgotten. Already added it as a bookmark. :approve:

Hi Kuahji,
I was in the same boat as you, brushing up on Algebra after being out of school for a while (7 years).
I picked up the fifth edition of Allen R. Angel's "Elementary Algebra for College Students" and "Intermediate Algebra for College Students" at a local used book store. I was really impressed with the books. Very clear and concise. They really helped me relearn all that forgotten math in a minimal amount of time.

Amazon has the 5th editions (same editions I had) for under $5 each:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130800333/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139163212/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Good luck!
GM

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the importance of finding the best Algebra 1 textbook?

Finding the best Algebra 1 textbook is crucial for students as it can greatly impact their understanding and success in the subject. A good textbook should provide clear explanations, numerous practice problems, and relevant examples to help students grasp the concepts effectively.

What should I look for in an Algebra 1 textbook?

When searching for an Algebra 1 textbook, it is important to consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, the amount of practice problems, and the relevance of examples to your learning style. It is also helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from teachers or peers.

Are there any specific features that make an Algebra 1 textbook stand out?

Some features that can make an Algebra 1 textbook stand out are interactive online resources, visual aids such as graphs and diagrams, real-world applications of concepts, and step-by-step problem-solving strategies. These features can enhance the learning experience and make the textbook more engaging.

How can I determine if a textbook is suitable for my learning needs?

Before purchasing an Algebra 1 textbook, it is recommended to preview a few chapters to see if the content is easy to understand and aligns with your learning style. You can also look for sample problems and solutions to get a sense of the difficulty level and the type of problems covered.

Is it necessary to use the recommended textbook for my Algebra 1 course?

While it is typically recommended to use the textbook recommended by your teacher, it is not always necessary. It is important to find a textbook that suits your learning needs and style, even if it is not the one recommended. However, it is advisable to consult with your teacher before using a different textbook for your course.