What role do Higgs fields play in cosmological inflation?

• Thread starter fasterthanjoao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses a report on cosmological inflation and the various problems it addresses, such as the horizon, flatness, monopole, and lambda problems. The mechanism for inflation is explained through spontaneous symmetry breaking and the role of Higgs fields. There is some confusion about the concept of vacuum states and different solutions in inflation are mentioned. The conversation also suggests seeking further clarification on the standard model and the Higgs boson in appropriate forums.
fasterthanjoao
Whilst this is possibly not in the correct forum, I figure the people looking here will be the best to ask anyway.

Basically, I'm writing a few thousand word 'report' on cosmological inflation, or subtopics thereof, it's quite loose.

(its to be mostly wordy, and since I'm pre-UGdegree years the maths doesn't need to be technical) anyway, down to the reason I'm posting: I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me any tips or point out things I might've missed in this brief plan:

History - need for inflation

horizon problem- CMBR evidence
flatness problem - density parameter affecting: big crunch/existance of galaxies
monopole problem- phase transitions in early universe expected to produce monopoles. none found (i read several mentions of other topological defects, what might they be?)

lambda problem that inflation introduces - cosmological constant required to be 10^120, varying cosmological constant could solve this?

Mechanism for inflation:
-spontaneous symmetry breaking (breaking of the symmetry in the three fundamental forces via finding non zero values of parameters - higgs fields)

Am I understanding this Higgs fields deal correctly? - I think I get that the symmetry between the three forces exists when there's no Higgs field present, when the Higgs fields are non-zero, the symmetry breaks down?

Am i also right in saying that (perhaps in a simplified form) the states which are stationary points of potential in a Higgs field are called vacuum states? and there can be a situation where the vacuum state is zero (false vacuum since it is possible for a lower state to exist, it's just not feasible for the field to break through the potential between these states,) and this situation is basically what triggers the inflation?

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit snowed in by all the new Higgs stuff I'm uncovering, but then I'm sure it'd be wise to have an understanding for this for my report (assuming this is actually how it works, and I'm not having horrible misunderstandings.. :uhh: )

After all that, I think I might go on to talk about different solutions in inflation and perhaps get a bit more qualatitive. It's late and I'm not sure I'm still making sense so i'll stop typing.

thanks for your thought, any comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone..? ..

fasterthanjoao said:
Whilst this is possibly not in the correct forum, I figure the people looking here will be the best to ask anyway.

No, I think your first choice (the A&C forum) was much more appropriate. I suggest you put further questions in your original thread.

Note: If you have more detailed questions about the standard model and the Higgs boson, a post in the "Nuclei & Particles" forum wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited:
thanks, moved.

delete at will, mods.

1. What is inflation in terms of the Higgs field?

Inflation is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a rapid and exponential expansion of the universe during the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang. It is thought to be caused by the Higgs field, a fundamental field that gives particles their mass.

2. How does the Higgs field relate to the inflation of the universe?

The Higgs field is thought to play a crucial role in the inflation of the universe by providing the necessary energy for the rapid expansion. As the Higgs field interacts with other fields, it gives particles their mass and drives the inflation process.

3. What is the evidence for the existence of the Higgs field?

The existence of the Higgs field was confirmed in 2012 by the discovery of the Higgs boson, a particle predicted by the theory of the Higgs field. This discovery was made possible through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

4. Can the Higgs field explain the origin of the universe?

The Higgs field is a crucial component of the current understanding of the origin of the universe, but it is not the complete explanation. It is thought to have played a significant role in the inflation process, but other factors such as quantum fluctuations and cosmic inflation are also believed to have been involved.

5. How does the Higgs field affect the mass of particles?

The Higgs field interacts with particles and gives them mass through the Higgs mechanism. As particles move through the Higgs field, they acquire energy, which manifests as mass. Without the Higgs field, particles would have no mass and the universe would look very different.