Learning Vacuum Tube Amplifiers for Senior Design Project

In summary, this person is looking for a book or online resource that covers tubes from top to bottom. They mention Randall Aiken's recommendations, and also mention that online resources are abundant.
seang
Hey all;

None of my EE classes cover vac tubes since they're largely obsolete. The thing is, for my senior design project (I have a year or so, no rush.) I'd like to build an audio amplifier. From experience I know the advantages of vac tubes and am willing to put up with the drawbacks.

I was wondering if you know of any extremely good texts that cover tubes from top to bottom. I know nothing about them and will have to teach myself completely. IE a book covering a tube as an extension or special case of another element won't do. Help?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know whether or not this will be helpful, but I have a bunch of old radio and TV repair manuals from the 50's & 60's, including one specifically about tubes. They're at my mother's place, so it will take a while to get them. I'll give you the titles, authors and publishers so you can see if you can find them. Otherwise, I can probably e-mail or PM excerpts without violating copyrights.

You might want to check out Randall Aiken's recommendations. I have some of these books, and his "take" on them is pretty accurate, IMO.

http://www.aikenamps.com/Bibliography.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some audiofiles say that tubes are superior to solid state for audio amplifiers, but I don't see any reason for that. I believe it is only another urban legend.

SGT said:
I know some audiofiles say that tubes are superior to solid state for audio amplifiers, but I don't see any reason for that. I believe it is only another urban legend.
I am now in my mid-50s, and I can hear frequencies that teenagers hear that people my age typically cannot (mosquito ring tone). Please believe me when I tell you that extremely short rise-times and "accurate" SS amplification of input signals does not always equal "pleasant" music. My best stereo rig 25 years back was a set of Mac 30 monoblocs with a clean SS preamp and a pair of Klipsch speakers. Unfortunately, I moved frequently to follow construction jobs, and allowed convenience to rule. I went with a nice Sansui integrated amp with smaller Bose speakers that were better-matched impediance-wise. :yuck: I want those Mac 30s back! :cry:

Last edited:
I see some great links on berkeman's reference. I would also add the following link, part of NEETS (Naval Electrical Engineering Training Series). They outline a comprehensive treatment of electron tube theory and application.

Be sure to check out some of their other Elec Engr discussions.

1. What is a vacuum tube amplifier?

A vacuum tube amplifier is an electronic device that uses vacuum tubes to amplify electrical signals. It is a type of audio amplifier commonly used in audio equipment, such as radios and musical instruments.

2. How does a vacuum tube amplifier work?

A vacuum tube amplifier works by using vacuum tubes to amplify the electrical signal from a source, such as a microphone or guitar. The vacuum tubes act as switches, allowing the signal to pass through and amplifying it through a series of capacitors and resistors. This amplified signal is then sent to a speaker, producing sound.

3. What are the advantages of using a vacuum tube amplifier?

One advantage of using a vacuum tube amplifier is its warm and natural sound. Vacuum tubes are known for producing a smoother and more natural sound compared to solid-state amplifiers. They also have a longer lifespan and are less prone to damage from high voltages.

4. What are the limitations of vacuum tube amplifiers?

One limitation of vacuum tube amplifiers is their size and weight. They are larger and heavier compared to solid-state amplifiers, making them less portable. They also require more maintenance and may need to be replaced more frequently due to the wear and tear of the vacuum tubes.

5. How can I incorporate vacuum tube amplifiers into a senior design project?

There are many ways to incorporate vacuum tube amplifiers into a senior design project. Some ideas include designing and building a vacuum tube amplifier from scratch, modifying an existing vacuum tube amplifier, or designing a circuit that combines both vacuum tube and solid-state technology. It is important to research and understand the components and principles of vacuum tube amplifiers before beginning a design project.