Thevenin's Theorem - Dependent Source + Resistor

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent of a network at terminals A-B. The person had difficulty with the problem and consulted their professor for help. They both worked through the problem using KCL, but differed in their approach for step six. The person's solution gave them a final answer of 400ohms, while their professor's solution gave them a final answer of 333ohms. They are unsure if their professor made an error or if they themselves made an error.
verd
Hey,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this one. I spoke to my professor specifically about this problem, he worked through it, I understood him, and I worked through it later in the day. I still get it, I worked through it, and there's step at the end that we both did differently. It seems like a simple KCL thing, but here's the problem:

Find the Thevenin equivalent of the network in the figure at the terminals A-B.
http://synthdriven.com/images/deletable/EEN201-06.jpg This is what I did:
http://synthdriven.com/images/deletable/EEN201-07.jpg

Now, what we did differently was what I circled as step six. Focusing on Node 2. It was finding the incoming current from point A. I just used KCL because I had the two other currents, and that's what it looks like my professor did.

However, he somehow gets 3Ix as an answer for Isc, which would give him a final answer of 333ohms.

What exactly did he do? Or is he the one making the error??

I get (5/2)Ix for Isc, which gives me 400ohms as a final answer.Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good to me.

Hi there,

It looks like you and your professor have slightly different approaches to solving this problem, but both of your methods seem valid. It's possible that your professor used a different method to solve for the incoming current at point A, which resulted in a different value for Isc. It's also possible that there was a small calculation error made by either you or your professor.

In terms of the final answer, it's important to remember that Thevenin's Theorem is an approximation and the calculated resistance may not always be exact. As long as you understand the concept and have a reasonable approximation, your answer should be acceptable.

If you're still unsure about the discrepancy, you could try double-checking your calculations or discussing it further with your professor. But overall, it seems like you both have a good understanding of Thevenin's Theorem and its application to circuits with dependent sources and resistors.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies.

What is Thevenin's Theorem and how does it relate to dependent sources and resistors?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that allows us to simplify complex circuits into simpler equivalent circuits. It states that any linear circuit containing voltage and current sources and resistors can be replaced by a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. This concept can also be applied to circuits containing dependent sources and resistors.

How do you determine the equivalent Thevenin voltage and resistance for a circuit with a dependent source and resistor?

To determine the equivalent Thevenin voltage, we first need to remove the dependent source from the circuit and calculate the open-circuit voltage at the terminals. Next, we need to replace the dependent source and solve for the voltage at the terminals. The difference between these two voltages is the Thevenin voltage. To determine the Thevenin resistance, we need to short the voltage source and calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit at the terminals.

Can Thevenin's Theorem be used for non-linear circuits with dependent sources and resistors?

No, Thevenin's Theorem only applies to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, which have elements whose resistance changes with voltage or current, cannot be simplified using this theorem. This is because the equivalent Thevenin voltage and resistance would change with the operating conditions of the circuit.

What are the benefits of using Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis?

Using Thevenin's Theorem can simplify complex circuits into simpler equivalent circuits, making it easier to analyze and solve for voltages and currents. It also allows for the replacement of a circuit with a Thevenin equivalent, which can be useful in practical applications where a circuit needs to be simplified for design or troubleshooting purposes.

Are there any limitations to Thevenin's Theorem when applied to circuits with dependent sources and resistors?

One limitation of Thevenin's Theorem is that it only applies to linear circuits. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state and does not take into account any transient effects. It also does not consider the effects of non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. Therefore, it is important to use Thevenin's Theorem with caution and to verify the results using other methods if necessary.