Topology question; examples of non-homeomorphic metric spaces

In summary: I found is a homeomorphism. I'm sorry if I was not clear.HallsofIvy,HallsofIvy,Thanks for the reply. I was able to find a function that is not continuous but is still bijective. Let X be the real numbers with the topology of intervals whose endpoints are integers. Let Y be the real numbers with the topology of intervals whose endpoints are rational numbers. f:X->Y is a function such that f(x)=-x for all x in X, but f(y) is always rational. This function is not continuous, but it is still bijective.
notmuch
Hello,

Here's a problem that I'm having trouble with:

Give an example of metric spaces X and Y and continuous maps f: X->Y and g: Y->X such that f and g are both bijective but X and Y are not homeomorphic.

I can find plenty of examples where I can find one such function, but finding the second is always a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let X be the real numbers with the "usual" topology: d(x,y)= |x-y|.

Let Y be the real numbers with the "discrete" topology: d(x,y)= 0 if x= y, 1 otherwise.

Let f(x)= x.

HallsofIvy,

Thanks for the reply, but that won't work with this definition of continuity:

f:A->B is continuous if
f^(-1)(U) is open in A for every open set U of B.

I suggest you re-examine the definition of homeomorphic. Given any space X and two topologies S and T, (X,S) and (X,T) are never homeomorphic.

Matt,

I understand that. I was not refuting the fact that those two topoligies are not homeomorphic. Finding such examples of non-homeomorphic spaces is easy, but finding the functions satisfying the conditions is the hard part.

You can form a topology on R from the basis of half open intervals whose endpoints are integers. Can you think of anything to do with this? EDIT: I don't know if this will work- in the example I had in mind it turns out the spaces are homeomorphic.

Last edited:
notmuch said:
Matt,

I understand that. I was not refuting the fact that those two topoligies are not homeomorphic. Finding such examples of non-homeomorphic spaces is easy, but finding the functions satisfying the conditions is the hard part.

Did you stop to think about which topology we take as that on the domain and the range? The map f(x)=x is a bijection from R to R, with obvious bijective inverse. Give one copy of R the norm topology, the other the discrete. Done.

If you've found one bijective function, then it is invertible, as a function. That is either the definition of bijective, or a trivial consequence of the definition of bijective.

Last edited:
I don't think HallsofIvy's example will work. For every y in Y, {y} is open. For any bijection from X to Y, the inverse image of {y} is a one-point set, which is not open in X, so there are no continuous bijections from X to Y.

Ah, see the question properly now.

Remember that any continuous bijection from a compact space to a hausdorff space is a homeomorphism (or perhaps I mean from a hausdorff space to a compact space), thus one will need to find and use a non-hausdorff space, or a non-compact space.

Matt,

Sorry for the confusion. I was a little confused by your response so I didn't reply, I was trying to see if I was understanding you correctly. AKG expressed what I meant to say.

You're right about the Hausdorff/compactness conditions... we are stuck with finding both X and Y being noncompact spaces, since they must also be metric spaces (thus Hausdorff). I still have problems finding such an example.

Let X = [0,1) with the normal metric on R

Let Y be the uinit square, ie: [itex]Y = \{(x_1,x_2): x_1^2 + x_2^2 = 1\}[/itex], with the normal metric on R^2

Let [itex] f:X \rightarrow Y, \ \ \ \theta \mapsto (cos2 \pi \theta, sin2 \pi \theta) [/itex].

Take U = [0, 1/2). U is open in X but f(U) is not open in Y.

nocturnal, do you understand the stated problem? You've found a continuous bijection from X to Y and shown that it isn't a homeomorphism. This is almost entirely pointless. You don't need to show that one particular continuous bijection from X to Y isn't a homeomorphism, you have to show that no continuous bijection from X to Y is a homeomorphism. Although you haven't done this, it can be done. More importantly, you have to find a continuous bijection from Y to X as well. This cannot be done.

oops, I misread the question.

do you really think that problem is true,
I thnk it is wrong, it is a different defination of homemorphizm

1. What is topology and how is it related to metric spaces?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. Metric spaces are a type of mathematical space that uses a distance function to define the properties of the space. Topology and metric spaces are closely related, as topology uses the concept of distance to define the relationships between points in a space.

2. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a continuous function between two topological spaces that has an inverse function that is also continuous. In simpler terms, a homeomorphism is a mapping between two spaces that preserves the topological properties of the space, such as the number of holes or connectedness.

3. Can you provide an example of two metric spaces that are not homeomorphic?

Yes, the interval [0,1] and the set of all real numbers [0, ∞) are two metric spaces that are not homeomorphic. This is because the interval [0,1] is compact (closed and bounded) while the set of all real numbers [0, ∞) is not compact. This difference in compactness means that there is no continuous function that can map between the two spaces while preserving their topological properties.

4. What is an example of a non-metric topological space?

A non-metric topological space is a space that does not have a distance function defined on it. A common example of this is the space of all continuous functions, where the concept of distance is not defined. Another example is the space of all open sets, where the distance between sets is not defined.

5. How do non-homeomorphic metric spaces affect real-world applications?

In real-world applications, non-homeomorphic metric spaces can be used to model different types of spaces, such as networks, transportation systems, or social networks. These spaces may have different topological properties and therefore cannot be mapped onto each other using a continuous function. Understanding and studying these non-homeomorphic metric spaces can help us better understand and solve real-world problems.