Exploring Virtual Particles: Understanding the Concept

In summary, virtual particles are a concept in quantum mechanics that are not observable or measurable, but are necessary to explain certain phenomena. They interact with observable particles and carry forces, such as the electric force. The justification for considering them real is that the predictions made by quantum field theory, which includes virtual particles, are incredibly accurate. However, the term "moot" can have two opposite meanings, which can cause confusion. Some recommended literature on virtual particles and quantum field theory can be found online.
EL
Science Advisor
Hi everyone! Time has come for my first thread in this nice forum:

I wonder if someone could explain the concept of virtual photons (and virtual particles in general)? Have I understood it right that they are just a mathematical construction and are not in any way "real"?
I have a lack of knowledge in particle theory, but am familiar with basic quantum mechanics, so hopefully I will be able to understand an explanation at a rather high level...

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether virtual particles are real or not is a moot question.

Here's the idea. In quantum mechanics nothing is really real unless you can observe it or measure it. In order to be observable, a particle has to have some minimum amount of energy for some minimum amount of time; this comes out of the uncertainty principle that says the product of those two things has to be bigger than a certain number.

So it's possible to conceive of a particle whose energy is not big enough or whose lifetime is not long enough to permit a true quantum measurement, but still both of them could be greater than zero. The world could be full of such particles, and the measurements would never show it.

Well, quantum field theory takes those particles seriously. It says they interact with observable particles, for example they make the electron which emits and absorbs them a bit heavier, and a bit more sluggish in motion, than it would be if they didn't exist.

Furthermore, QFT says that the virtual particles are the ones that carry the forces. For example with photons, the "real" photons make light, and other forms of electromagnetic radiation, but the virtual photons carry the electric force; a charged particle is charged because it emits virtual photons. And the other bosons, that carry the weak and strong forces, behave the same way. Real particles interact with each other by exchanging virtual bosons.

This is the story quantum field theory tells, and the justification, the reason you should at least consider beliving in it, is that it makes fantiastically correct predictions. That bit above where I said that interacting with virtual particles made the electron sluggish? It's called the anomalous moment of the electron, and the prediction, based on virtual particles, matches experiment to six decimal places.

For several decades the theorists and experimenters were in a kind of race. The experimenters would rack their brains and come up with a new way to measure down to another decimal place. And the theorists would grind through the next level of calculations (in the same theory mind you, this is not about epicycles) and come up with another decimal place of their own. And the two would match!

Thanks a lot! Everything is now clear (except for the word "moot" =))...
Does anyone know any good litterature or links about this subject?

Originally posted by EL

"Moot" has unfortunately two completely opposite meanings (like "fast"). The first, which I did not intend, is of a completely settled question. The second is of a much discussed question. That is the one I meant.

The different meanings come from the practice in law schools of using moot (settled) court cases for study and discussion.

Ok, I just never had heard the word "moot", because english is not my main language...

virtual photons do not conserve energy, they borrow energy and repay.

Originally posted by garytse86

If virtual photons borrow energy?..can they also borrow after a repayment has been made? Do they always follow convensional lending practise's?..ie..is repayment possible pior to borrowing?

Originally posted by garytse86
In hep physics lingo, they are off-shell

Originally posted by EL

It's a shame English is not your first language, because you made a great joke by accident!

Njorl

Hehe. It was, hmmm, on purpuse...=)

Just to make something clear...I didn´t ask for litterature about the word "moot"...so, again, anyone who has some texts to recommend about virtual particles?

Originally posted by EL
so, again, anyone who has some texts to recommend about virtual particles?

start here

One might think of virtual particles being primarily of probable properties rather than with a definite physical identity. The action (energy-time or momentum-displacement) of a virtual particle is less than Planck's constant, h, and involves complex quantities that interfere toward a resultant probability - say, that an electron has a .5 chance of being within an Angstrom of a particular atom. When measured, the particle is said to be real, and takes on the definite properties bestowed from one possibility of many.

Forgive my rambling; I gave blood today.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that are believed to exist in the quantum vacuum, constantly popping in and out of existence. They are not observable in the traditional sense, but their effects can be seen in certain phenomena.

2. How are virtual particles related to the concept of quantum mechanics?

Virtual particles are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as they demonstrate the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level. They also play a role in explaining the uncertainty principle and the concept of quantum tunneling.

3. Can virtual particles be detected or measured?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly detected or measured. They exist for such a short amount of time and in such small scales that their effects are only observed through indirect means, such as through particle accelerators or in calculations of physical phenomena.

4. How do virtual particles influence the behavior of particles in the vacuum?

Virtual particles play a significant role in the behavior of particles in the vacuum. They constantly interact with and affect the behavior of other particles, such as causing the Casimir effect or contributing to the vacuum energy density.

5. Can virtual particles be manipulated or controlled?

No, virtual particles cannot be manipulated or controlled as they are a natural part of the quantum vacuum. However, scientists can manipulate the vacuum itself, which indirectly affects the behavior of virtual particles.