Unbalanced beam / Torque (?)

• Thread starter unique_pavadrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Torque
In summary, a 55kg mass needs to be placed 0.05m to the left of the pivot point on a 2.7m beam with a mass of 25kg suspended from a point 1.3m in from one side in order for the beam to be balanced. This can be calculated by setting up the equation (r_m)(F_m)=(r_b)(F_b) and solving for r_m, the distance from the pivot point to the 55kg mass.
unique_pavadrin

Homework Statement

A beam of mass 25kg is suspended from a point 1.3m in from one side. Where must a 55kg mass be placed for the beam to be balanced?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau = rF_ \bot [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has me totally confused. I no that the center of mass of the beam is at 1.35m (assuming that it is uniform). Since the beam is suspended off the center of mass the 55kg mass needs to placed predominantly on the 1.3m section of the beam so that the center of mass of the combined beam and mass is at 1.3m mark. However I am not sure on how to calculate this, I am assuming that a torque (?) calculation maybe required, however I'm not sure on how to apply.

Many thanks for any suggestions and help

unique_pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that 1.3m is the middle of the beam. I also assume that that is where the beam is suspended. One side is not suspended while the other is? If you put on the suspended side the beam falls while if you put it on the unsuspended side then the beam will remain still but not balanced. I believe that if the weight is put with the mass of the beam (in the middle) then it will still be balanced.

I think you missed out the part that the length of the beam is 2.7m. Unless youre doing a different question to the one I am thinking.

Leftward torque (or some call it moment) = Rightward moment

for the beam to be balanced.To find torque, F = perpendicular distance * weight

Assuming the beam is uniform,
You know the torque on one side (the side that the weight of the beam is acting on), so use it to find the perpendicular distance of the weight on the other side

Last edited:
thanks for the replies

sorry i forgot to mention that the beam is 2.7 m, so it is not suspended from the center

saplingg I'm an not too sure what you mean, sorry

Take where the beam is suspended as your pivot point. For the beam to balance, the sum of the torque around that point must be zero (this is what saplingg was getting at). There are two forces here, each providing torque. Use the equation you had in your original post.

okay thanks for that hage567
here is my working as i understand the problem:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum \tau _{clockwise} = \sum \tau _{anticlockwise} \\
\sum \tau = 0 \\
\tau = rF_ \bot \\
\tau _{righthandside} = 1.4\left( {\frac{{25}}{{2.7}} \times 1.4} \right)\left( {9.8} \right) = 177.8518\,N\,m \\
\tau _{lefthandside} = 1.3\left( {\frac{{25}}{{2.7}} \times 1.3} \right)\left( {9.8} \right) = 153.3518 \\
\sum \tau = \tau _{righthandside} - \tau _{lefthandside} - x \\
x = \tau _{righthandside} - \tau _{lefthandside} = 24.5 \\
\tau = rF_ \bot \\
r = \frac{\tau }{{F_ \bot }} \\
F_ \bot = 50\left( {9.8} \right) = \\
r = \frac{\tau }{{F_ \bot }} = \frac{{24.5}}{{490}} = 0.05\,m \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

from the above calculations the mass needs to be placed 0.05 m to the left hand side of the pivot point. is this correct?
thanks

I don't understand the (25/2.7 x 1.4) or the (25/2.7 x 1.3). Are you trying to take into account the mass of the beam at these points? I don't think you have to do that, if it is considered to be uniform.

Think of it this way: you want to solve for r_m let's say. r_m is the distance from the pivot point to the 55 kg mass. Specify the centre of mass of the beam from the pivot point. That way, you can just set up (r_m)(F_m)=(r_b)(F_b). I think this is what you're basically doing, but you're making it too complicated.

okay thanks hage567 ill look into it and see if i understand it
thank you

What is an unbalanced beam?

An unbalanced beam is a type of simple machine that consists of a long, straight object that is supported at a single point and has a weight or load placed on one end. This creates an imbalance and allows for the beam to rotate around the point of support, generating torque.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In the case of an unbalanced beam, the weight or load placed on one end creates a torque that causes the beam to rotate around its point of support.

How is torque related to an unbalanced beam?

Torque is directly related to an unbalanced beam as it is the force that causes the beam to rotate. The greater the torque applied to the beam, the greater the rotational force and the more the beam will rotate around its point of support.

What factors affect the amount of torque in an unbalanced beam?

Several factors can affect the amount of torque in an unbalanced beam. These include the weight or load placed on one end of the beam, the distance from the point of support to the point where the weight is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied to the beam.

What are some real-world applications of an unbalanced beam?

Unbalanced beams have many practical applications, such as in construction for cranes and other lifting equipment, in engineering for creating leverage and increasing force, and in everyday objects like see-saws and teeter-totters. They are also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of torque and rotational motion.