Life Span of a Photon - Photonics.com

In summary, photons have an infinite lifespan, as they do not decay or age. They travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. They cannot be destroyed, only absorbed or scattered. All photons have the same lifespan, but their perceived lifespan can vary due to their interactions and distance traveled. Factors such as wavelength, energy, and interactions with matter can affect the lifespan of a photon.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought this might be of interest. I hope I haven't missed this being discussed earlier.

http://www.photonics.com/content/spectra/2007/April/news/87182.aspx" [Broken]

Doesn't each interaction with a gas molecule cause a different photon to be created?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good find. I had read that they got the photon box working, but nothing more than that, really. I believe Einstein suggested this sort of device?

I find the concept of the life span of a photon to be intriguing. While photons are known to have properties such as wavelength and energy, the idea of a specific duration for their existence raises interesting questions about their nature.

In regards to the article you shared, it discusses the potential for photons to have a finite lifespan due to interactions with gas molecules. This is an intriguing concept, as it suggests that photons may not be as eternal as we once thought.

One aspect to consider is that photons are not singular entities, but rather they can exist as a wave or a particle. This duality adds complexity to understanding their lifespan. Additionally, the concept of a photon's lifespan may also vary depending on the medium through which it travels.

Regarding your question about different photons being created through interactions with gas molecules, it is important to note that photons are not created or destroyed in these interactions. Rather, they are absorbed and re-emitted, potentially with a different wavelength or direction. This process is known as scattering and it is a fundamental aspect of how light interacts with matter.

In conclusion, the idea of a photon's lifespan is a thought-provoking concept that warrants further investigation. It challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of light and its behavior in different environments. I look forward to further research and discussions on this topic. Thank you for sharing the article.

1. What is the life span of a photon?

The life span of a photon is technically infinite, as photons do not decay or experience aging. They continue to exist until they are absorbed or interact with matter.

2. How fast do photons travel?

Photons travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is the fastest possible speed in the universe.

3. Can photons be destroyed?

No, photons cannot be destroyed. They can only be absorbed by matter, converted into other forms of energy, or scattered in different directions.

4. Do all photons have the same life span?

Yes, all photons have the same life span because they do not experience aging. However, the distance they travel and the interactions they have may vary, affecting their perceived life span.

5. What factors affect the life span of a photon?

The life span of a photon can be affected by its wavelength, energy, and interactions with matter. Photons with higher energy and shorter wavelengths tend to have shorter life spans due to their increased likelihood of being absorbed or scattered.