Dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays

In summary, the gamma ray moves along positive X-direction, neutron moves along positive Y-direction and proton moves at an angle theta to the positive X axis. Applying law of energy conservation, E=B.E + K(p) + K(n), K(p) + K(n) = 3.78 MeV. Applying law of momentum conservation along X direction, E/c= [2m(p)K(p)]^(1/2)cos(theta), K(p) = 1.89 MeV. Applying law of momentum conservation along Y direction, 0= [2m(n)K(n)]^(1/2) - [2
Amith2006

Homework Statement

I have a doubt in the following problem. I get an answer which is slightly different from the book answer.
1) A 6 MeV gamma ray is absorbed and dissociates a deuteron into a proton and a neutron. If the neutron makes an angle of 90 degrees with the direction of gamma ray, determine the kinetic energies of proton and neutron.

Homework Equations

E=B.E + K(p) + K(n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it in the following way:
Let E be the energy of the gamma ray. Let K(p) and K(n) be the kinetic energies of proton and neutron respectively. Let m(p) and m(n) be the rest masses of proton and neutron respectively.
We assume that the gamma ray moves along positive X-direction, neutron moves along positive Y-direction and proton moves at an angle theta to the positive X axis.
Applying law of energy conservation,
E=B.E + K(p) + K(n)
Where B.E=Binding energy
K(p) + K(n) = 3.78 MeV --------(1)
Applying law of momentum conservation along X direction,
E/c = [2m(p)K(p)]^(1/2)cos(theta) ------------- (2)
Applying law of momentum conservation along Y direction,
0= [2m(n)K(n)]^(1/2) - [2m(p)K(p)]^(1/2)sin(theta)
=> [2m(n)K(n)]^(1/2) = [2m(p)K(p)]^(1/2)sin(theta) ---------- (3)

Squaring and adding equations (1) and (2) we get,
[E/c]^2 + 2m(n)K(n) = 2m(p)K(p)
On simplification I get the following equation,
K(p) – K(n) = 0.019 MeV ---------(4)

Solving equations (1) and (4),
K(p) = 1.89 MeV
K(n) = 1.87 MeV
But the answer is,
K(p) = 1.91 MeV
K(n) = 1.86 MeV
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I get slightly different answers from both of those. But you should note that the masses of the particles are very large compared compared to the kinetic and binding energies. A small change in the mass numbers can produce a pretty large change in the kinetic energies. I doubt you are doing anything really wrong. If you want to send me the exact mass numbers you are using I can try it with those.

Neglecting the answers, is my method right?

Your method is a nonrelativistic calculation, it that what you were supposed to do? Its justifiable in this case, but it could lead to the sort of small errors you are seeing. The momentum formula sqrt(2*m*KE) is only valid for small velocities. I used the full 4-vector method.

Thanx buddy.

1. What is dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays?

Dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays refers to the process in which a deuteron, a nucleus consisting of one proton and one neutron, is broken apart into its individual particles by the absorption of a gamma ray photon.

2. How does the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays occur?

The dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays occurs when a gamma ray photon collides with the deuteron nucleus and transfers enough energy to overcome the binding energy between the proton and neutron, causing them to separate.

3. What is the purpose of studying the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays?

Studying the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays can provide valuable insights into the structure of the deuteron nucleus and the forces that hold it together. It can also be used to investigate the properties of the gamma ray photon and its interactions with matter.

4. What are some potential applications of the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays?

The dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays has potential applications in nuclear physics research, medical diagnostics and treatments, and energy production. It can also be used to study fusion reactions, which have potential for producing clean and sustainable energy.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when working with gamma rays, as they can be harmful to living organisms if not handled properly. Proper safety measures, such as shielding and monitoring, must be in place when conducting experiments involving the dissociation of deuteron by gamma rays.