Why do Like Charges Attract in Physics?

• Thread starter Mr Virtual
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, if there is one body with a slight negative charge and another body with an extremely high value of negative charge, the more-negatively charged body will attract the other one.
Mr Virtual
Hi
My physics teacher told me that if there is one body that has a slight negative charge, and if there is another body that has an extremely high value of negative charge, then the more-negatively charged body will attract the other one. Even our physics book states this fact. Can anyone explain this?
Is this phenomenon true only in case of a body, or also in case of charged particles (like saying that a huge group of electrons will attract a single electron, because it has lower value of negative charge. Well, atleast to me, it sounds insane).

regards
Mr V

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that the slightly charged object is a conductor. Electrons in that conductor will be repelled, thus displaced further from the other charged object. Since the positive charges are closer, there will be a net attractive force. (Look up charge polarization.)

Admin note: edited thread title.

- Warren

Thanks for the editing.

As Doc Al says, normal materials are made up of many positive and negative charges rather thoroughly mixed together to make them approximately neutral. If you apply an external field, the charges in the body will migrate as much as they can to opposite ends of the body. Thus, an originally neutral body can be polarized, so that one end is more negatively charged than the other.

The polarized body can then be attracted to another body with the same polarity of net charge.

This is still an example of opposite charges attracting, though. Consider a single electron and another "ball" of electrons (nevermind how such a thing could be made). These two "bodies" would always repel, no matter what, because they have no positive charges within them at all.

- Warren

And thanks for the explanation. That clears it up!
I will delete the note in my post.

regards
Mr V

What is the principle behind "like charges attract"?

The principle behind "like charges attract" is based on the fundamental law of electrostatics, which states that opposite charges attract each other while like charges repel each other.

Why do like charges repel each other?

Like charges repel each other because they have the same type of charge, either positive or negative. This means that they have a similar electrostatic force and will push away from each other.

Do like charges always repel each other?

In most cases, like charges will repel each other. However, under certain circumstances, like charges can also attract each other. This is known as the photoelectric effect, where light can cause like charges to attract and transfer energy.

What happens when two like charges are brought close together?

When two like charges are brought close together, they will experience a strong repulsive force that will push them apart. This force increases as the distance between the two charges decreases.

How does the distance between two like charges affect their attraction or repulsion?

The strength of the repulsive force between two like charges is directly proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.