Understanding ADHD & Ritalin for Focus and Attention Improvement

• Medical
  • Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
In summary, Pete's psychiatrist prescribed Ritalin for his problem with focusing his attention. Pete started taking it this Tuesday, and will keep this thread updated on his progress. Pete's friend tried another anti-depressant instead and it didn't work. Pete recommends that people research related problems if they're currently on antidepressants, get a second opinion, and don't expect instant gratification.
denverdoc said:
Oh, ok. We are talking about some of the hallmarks of the disease. As a kid I would count a lot--like the seconds between a search light sweep, and perform calculations like the powers of 2 before I knew what they were. I see some of the same behaviors in my daughter. Doubtless there is a good chunk of genetic influence. At one time it was associated with childhood measles--not sure if that association still holds. Hard to say in the USA with the MMR vaccine.

For the most part I outgrew them and never had the type of repetitive, intrusive thought that plagues many sufferers of OCD, that of comitting some violent act. In the most classic cases, the compulsion (behavior) relieves the anxiety generated by the obsession. But only for seconds, minutes or hours before the anxiety builds up again, generating the need to self-sooth thru the compusion, ad infinitum. Since reality testing is undisturbed, ie NOT a psychotic disorder, cognitive therapy is often very helpful in recognizing and redirecting the thoughts over time. Ativan is a powerful and fast acting antianxiety agent which is often helpful on an as needed basis as your daughter's success shows. But more unbelievable still is that at least where I trained, Freudian psychoanalysis was still being used--on kids no less.

One other interesting factoid about OCD is it is is the only mental illness to my knowledge fo which a "lobotomy" is still indicated.

By who? Dr. Wacky?

Biology news on Phys.org
Galteeth said:
By who? Dr. Wacky?

No. It is an accepted procedure, albeit of last resort, for severe and intractable OCD. Known as an anterior cingulotomy, is severs one of the tracts thought to be responsible for the disorder.

my child had ECT years ago for intractible depression and that also helped stop the OCD for a while. But Labotomy- Yikes- barbaric. So much else is damaged in the process. Look at President Kennedy's sister. And I can't believe that there is only ONE center in the N.E. that specializes in this- McClanes in Mass. So many people suffer from this disorder. I live near a Medical College- you would think the dummies there would have know how to treat my child! They were treating it as psychosis.

Jim Botta said:
my child had ECT years ago for intractible depression and that also helped stop the OCD for a while. But Labotomy- Yikes- barbaric. So much else is damaged in the process. Look at President Kennedy's sister. And I can't believe that there is only ONE center in the N.E. that specializes in this- McClanes in Mass. So many people suffer from this disorder. I live near a Medical College- you would think the dummies there would have know how to treat my child! They were treating it as psychosis.

Hey I am no advocate for the procedure, though in fairness we should look at some outcome studies. The most respected general psych. journal published in the USA had the following article:
OBJECTIVE: Long-term outcome associated with cingulotomy for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) was prospectively assessed. Findings are reported for 18 patients previously described in 1995 and for 26 new patients. METHOD: An open preoperative and follow-up assessment was conducted at multiple time points for 44 patients undergoing one or more cingulotomies for treatment-refractory OCD. The patients were assessed by using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R preoperatively and with the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale, the Beck Depression Inventory, and the Sickness Impact Profile both preoperatively and at all follow-up assessments. The patients completed clinical global improvement scales at all follow-up assessments. RESULTS: At mean follow-up of 32 months after one or more cingulotomies, 14 patients (32%) met criteria for treatment response and six others (14%) were partial responders. Thus, 20 patients (45%) were at least partial responders at long-term follow-up after one or more cingulotomies. Few adverse effects were reported. CONCLUSIONS: Thirty-two percent to 45% of patients previously unresponsive to medication and behavioral treatments for OCD were at least partly improved after cingulotomy. Cingulotomy remains a viable treatment option for patients with severe treatment-refractory OCD

The article in its entirety can be found here: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/159/2/269

I think much as the case with ECT there is much misunderstanding and prejudice re these forms of intervention. Modern "lobotomy" bears little relation to the primitive methods of yore which were aimed at controlling behavior, and little else. Just saying.

denverdoc said:
Hey I am no advocate for the procedure, though in fairness we should look at some outcome studies. The most respected general psych. journal published in the USA had the following article:

The article in its entirety can be found here: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/159/2/269

I think much as the case with ECT there is much misunderstanding and prejudice re these forms of intervention. Modern "lobotomy" bears little relation to the primitive methods of yore which were aimed at controlling behavior, and little else. Just saying.

Fair enough, although anything that has disorientation as an immediate effect is likely to produce a bump in the BDI.

I think if my child's mind was 24/7 like it is during the episodes, I would do anything to stop the suffering. I am not familiar with the new way they proceed but I am sure it is not an ice pick through the eye socket and then wiggle it around like was once done.

I think our focus should go back to the person who is doing this forum and their suffering. I hope we are giving them enough information to demostrate that it is not ust ADHD that is causing the mental OCD.

Since you also have depression I'd recommend also incorporating omega 3's into your diet if you don't already

Can Ritalin cause a brain lock?

uberifrit said:
Can Ritalin cause a brain lock?

You might want to elaborate if you want useful answers.

luvok (sp?) helped my child with the OCD

hmmm well I've heard a lot of hearsay about ritalin, and its positive and negative effects.
but what i know as a fact is, that concerta and ritalin are basically the same thing. they are both the same drug just under different brand names... Hmmmm.
and it is commonly used to treat ADD and ADHD.

Side effects you should be warned of before taking:
Brain/CNS/Mental- Hyperactivity, insomnia, restlessness, talkativeness, dizziness, drowsiness, toxic psychosis (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/toxic+psychosis,) headaches, and seizures.

CV - Bp Changes

Endo -Growth retardation.

GI -nausea, anorexia, dry mouth, weight loss, abdominal pain.

Blood/Hema -Leukopenia, anemia.

Misc. Fever, Hair Loss.

you should not use if you have high blood pressure. or gilles de la tourettes syndrome.

precautions: depression, seizures, lactation, drug abuse.

p.s. probably best if you don't over caffeinate.

i did research on ritalin vs. adderall for my girlfriend a few months ago. we decided on adderall.

unfortunately i can't find the paper with the adderall stuff that i wrote down. it should have been in the same area... but its not lol.
sooo when i find it i'll post it. ummm btw I'm not urging you to fight against your psych's prescription. just offering information on the topic.

RazorRose said:
p.s. probably best if you don't over caffeinate.
Interestingly, caffeine is often suggested for ADHDs to calm them and help them concentrate.

DaveC426913 said:
Interestingly, caffeine is often suggested for ADHDs to calm them and help them concentrate.

let me clarify
while on methylphenidate (ritalin/concerta,) its it very important not to over caffeinate.

RazorRose said:
let me clarify
while on methylphenidate (ritalin/concerta,) its it very important not to over caffeinate.

Not sure how that's clarifying it; you merely restated it. I ambiguity lies in what you mean by over-caffeinating. Do you mean that, while on these drugs it is still all right to take caffeine, however it is particularly risky if the dose of caffeine is excessive?

DaveC426913 said:
Not sure how that's clarifying it; you merely restated it. I ambiguity lies in what you mean by over-caffeinating. Do you mean that, while on these drugs it is still all right to take caffeine, however it is particularly risky if the dose of caffeine is excessive?

it is still alright to have some caffeine while on methylphenidate, yes. but having an excess amount of caffeine while on methylphenidate can be risky/dangerous yes.

i'd be curious if the over caffeination is related to what you mentioned before, about caffeination being used to help people with adhd concentrate and calm down.