Compton Wavelength Change: Blue Light & X-Rays

In summary, the student is confused about a homework question on Compton scattering that asks for the fractional change in wavelength for incident blue light and X-rays. They are unsure of what the question is asking and what to do with the given parameters.
ehrenfest
1. Homework Statement [/b
Robinett question
One of my homework questions in the Compton scattering section asks:

"Evaluate the fractional change in wavelength delta lambda/lamdba, for incident blue light and X-rays? It also gives the wavelength of blue light and X-rays.

I do not know what this questions wants because the Compton scattering equation takes 3 parameters(lambda, lambda', and theta) and they only give 1 here (lambde_blue light or lambda_X-rays). Anyone want to rephrase this for me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess they mean the ratio [itex]\Delta \lambda/ \lambda [/itex], where \Delta \lambda =\lambda' -\lambda. But i don't know what you should do with the angle...

1. What is the Compton Wavelength?

The Compton Wavelength is a fundamental physical constant that describes the quantum nature of particles, specifically the wavelength of light that is scattered when a photon interacts with a free electron.

2. How does blue light affect the Compton Wavelength?

Blue light has a shorter wavelength than other visible light, which means it has a higher energy. When blue light interacts with an electron, it causes a larger change in the Compton Wavelength compared to longer wavelength light.

3. What is the significance of the Compton Wavelength change with x-rays?

X-rays have an even shorter wavelength and higher energy than blue light. When x-rays interact with electrons, they cause a much larger change in the Compton Wavelength, making them useful for imaging and studying the inner structures of matter.

4. How does the Compton Wavelength change affect the behavior of particles?

The Compton Wavelength change is a result of the quantum nature of particles. It affects the way particles interact with each other and their surroundings, leading to phenomena such as diffraction, interference, and particle accelerations.

5. Can the Compton Wavelength change be observed in everyday life?

The Compton Wavelength change is most commonly observed in laboratory experiments or in applications such as medical imaging. In everyday life, its effects are not easily noticeable, but it plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.