Learn How to Solve Impulse Problems with Step-by-Step Examples

• Thread starter crimsonfears
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve problems involving impulse, specifically how to set up the equations and find final velocities. Three examples were given, including a collision between two bumper cars, a spear being thrown by a skin diver, and two boys jumping off a boat. The key equation used was P(initial) = P(final), and the final velocities were found using this equation and the given information about mass and initial velocities.
crimsonfears
Okay, I was absent the day we did impulse at school, so now I'm confused as to how to do some of it. I just need to know how to set up the problems, I know that impulse=F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t and that F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=m[tex]\Delta[/tex]v...but I don't know where to go after that.

The first problem:
Two children, totaling 200 kg, are traveling at 10 m/sec in a 100-kg bumper car during an amusement park ride. They deliberately collide with an empty second car, mass 100 kg, which is at rest. Afterwards, the car with the two children moves off at a speed of 4.0 m/sec. What is the final velocity of the empty car?

The Second problem:
James, a 65-kg skin diver, shoots a 2.0-kg spear with a speed of 15 m/sec at a fish which is darting past him. How fast does James recoil when the spear is initially released?

The Third problem:
On a hot summer day, Jack and Leon are fishing in their boat, when they decide to jump into the water to cool off. Jack, 45-kg, jumps off the front of the boat with a speed of 2 m/sec. While at the exact same moment, Leon, 90-kg, jumps out of the back of the boat at a speed of 4 m/sec. If the boat has a mass of 100 kg and was at rest prior to the two boys jumping off, what will be its velocity just after both boys have abandoned ship?

Physics news on Phys.org
to the find final velocity of empty cart...
in the equation...let P the momentum
P(initial)=P(final)
MV1+ MV2 = MV1 + MV2
300kg(10m/s)+0=300kg(4.0m/s)+100kgV2
3000kg*m/s-4800kg*m/s=100kgV2
20400kg*m/s=100kgV2
----------------------(divided by 100kg)
100kg
V2=204m/s(final velocity of the empty cart)

opps...
sorry
i was wrong for multiplying of 300kg(10m/s)=3000kg*m/s not 30000kg*m/s
and multiplying 300kg*m/s(4.0m/s)=1200kg*m/s not 4800kg*m/s
V2=8.82m/s

1. What is Impulse?

Impulse is a measurement of the change in momentum of an object. It is the product of force and the time interval over which the force acts on the object.

2. How is Impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force exerted on an object by the time interval over which the force acts. It can be represented by the equation I = F x Δt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What are some real-life examples of Impulse?

Some real-life examples of Impulse include a hockey player hitting a puck, a golfer hitting a golf ball, and a baseball player hitting a baseball. In all of these cases, the object experiences a change in momentum due to the force applied over a certain amount of time.

4. How does Impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse affects an object's motion by changing its momentum. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum, and therefore, the greater the effect on an object's motion.

5. How is Impulse related to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Impulse is related to this law because when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back. This results in a change in momentum for both objects, and the impulse experienced by each object is equal and opposite.