College student dating her TA: privacy vs. academic integrity

In summary: In the end, the master's degree holder found a new job and the TA lost hers.It seems to me that Emma is relatively safe because she's "dating up." OTOH, her peers may suspect foul play (e.g. with respect to her grades), and this peer reaction may end up being part of the bargain for her.My say is option b) on a mild, friend to friend talkThis is also helpful; thank you.I asked my TA coordinator about that before and basically it came down to basically there are no rules against it.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I thought of posting this under "Academic guidance," then decided to post here.

This friend of mine (I'll call him Jack) has a female friend (Holly) who lives in Europe and whose college-age daughter, Emma, is a freshman in a major U.S. college. Holly asked Jack to check on Emma once in a while.

Emma visits Jack's family during holidays; they converse and have food together.

Jack told me that in her last visit Emma told him that she has been going out with her TA. Jack asked for my advice as to what, if anything, would be the appropriate action for him.

He could: (a) say or do nothing, (b) tell Emma "she should have thought twice before going out with her TA," or (c) alert Emma's mother to the fact.

Options (b) and (c) could imply infringement of Emma's privacy, and trust. Option (a) could potentially mean turning a blind eye to the possibility of Emma's involvement in similar relationships in the future.

What do you think is the appropriate action for Jack?

Physics news on Phys.org
(d) not jacks business.

People are free to date who they want to. Its the TAs responsiblity to know better if he gets into trouble.

Edit: He should ask her if the TA has changed any of his grading based on their relationship, and if so warn her that she could possibly fail the course. (Probably not likely, I would guess it would be the TA that gets into trouble more).

Last edited:
(b), but a bit milder, as "Jack" where given trust and confidence to look after "Emma" by "Holly".

Emma is an adult. Plus, dating a TA is nothing that bad. In the end, it's the TAs problem (if it were to become one...)

Option C shouldn't even be an option. That's just ridiculous. Emma will tell her mom if she so wishes.

Option B is ok... As long as its a friend to friend kind of talk.

Option A is also fine.

tell her mom? No way. He should stay out, she's confiding in him, why should he betray her?

I wonder if option (c) was put for a laugh. The only good option I see is (d) none of Jacks business.

I'd ask Emma to make sure there isn't any college rule that will open her up to punishment for dating her TA. Many schools have funny rules.

I vote d) also. It's none of Jack's business.

Get a life too.

EnumaElish said:
(c) alert Emma's mother to the fact.

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

Gokul43201 said:
I'd ask Emma to make sure there isn't any college rule that will open her up to punishment for dating her TA. Many schools have funny rules.

Good point, I should have mentioned that.

JasonRox said:
I vote d) also. It's none of Jack's business.

Get a life too.

JasonRox said:
You have to be ****ing kidding me.

These responses have been very valuable; your brilliant use of argument by insult followed up by argument by foul language have conclusively settled the issue!

Hurkyl said:
These responses have been very valuable; your brilliant use of argument by insult followed up by argument by foul language have conclusively settled the issue!

This is because C seems so outrageous. Nobody in their right mind would think of that!

Hurkyl said:

I find it appropriate. I like to keep things at the level of the conversation.

I would date Emma! Lol kidding

My say is option b) on a mild, friend to friend talk

Gokul43201 said:
That's valuable advice; thank you, Gokul.

It seems to me that Emma is relatively safe because she's "dating up." OTOH, her peers may suspect foul play (e.g. with respect to her grades), and this peer reaction may end up being part of the bargain for her.

Oerg said:
My say is option b) on a mild, friend to friend talk
This is also helpful; thank you.

I asked my TA coordinator about that before and basically it came down to basically there are no rules against it.

It was in the TA's hands to decide. Also, if there was an affect on grades, then obviously action would take place. But action would take place whether or not you're dating someone. If your grades aren't consistent, you better watch yourself.

Also, I never dated a student in my seminars or even the class itself. Never considered even when it was clear I could have (any TA would know) and I just chose not to for my best interest.

Last edited:
The OP confused me but...

Past experience from a UK uni: I had a friend (masters level) who went out with one of the postdocs in the group (TA?) -- people did get funny and it did get quite heavy, with the threat of my mate being chucked off the course.

I guess it's about protection of data that the postdoc may have known which could've been advantageous to the student.

Honestly, I don't think Jack needs to do anything. It's one thing to watch out for Emma, but I don't see how 'telling mom' is watching out for her. If he's concerned for her, he can talk to HER about it.

It's been four years. By now, I would hope he's no longer her TA.

1. What are the potential consequences of a college student dating their TA?

The consequences of a college student dating their TA can vary depending on the policies of the specific university and the nature of the relationship. In some cases, it may be considered a violation of academic integrity and could result in disciplinary action for both the student and the TA. It could also create a conflict of interest and compromise the objectivity of the TA's grading and evaluation of the student.

2. Is it legal for a college student to date their TA?

There are no laws specifically prohibiting a college student from dating their TA. However, it is important to consider the potential ethical and professional implications of the relationship, as well as any university policies that may be in place.

3. Can a college student and their TA keep their relationship private?

It is possible for a college student and their TA to keep their relationship private, but it is not guaranteed. Depending on the university's policies and the nature of the relationship, it may come to light and could potentially impact the academic integrity of the student and the TA.

4. What steps can a college student and their TA take to maintain privacy and academic integrity?

To maintain privacy and academic integrity, it is important for the student and the TA to adhere to any university policies regarding relationships between students and faculty. They should also avoid any actions that could be perceived as a conflict of interest, such as the TA grading the student's work or being involved in the student's academic decisions.

5. How can a college student and their TA navigate their relationship while maintaining academic integrity?

The best way for a college student and their TA to navigate their relationship while maintaining academic integrity is to be open and transparent with each other and to follow any university policies. They should also seek guidance from a trusted advisor or administrator to ensure that their relationship does not compromise the objectivity and fairness of the academic environment.