Energy stored in compressed air?

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the amount of energy stored in compressed air using a device that compresses 174 cubic feet per minute into 35 cubic feet, with a temperature increase from 70 F to 550 F. They are seeking help in understanding how to calculate the energy, assuming an adiabatic process. They are advised to take the internal energy difference from a table of thermodynamic properties and multiply by the flow rate.
kevinv
Hi, I am trying to figure out how much energy is stored in compressed air. I have figured out that a device I am looking at compresses about 174 cubic feet per minute into 35 cubic feet and that the temperature would rise from 70 F to 550 F.

I now want to know how much energy, in the form of heat, is available. I am assuming it is an adiabatic process.

Can you help me understand how I calculate the energy?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just take the internal energy (after-before) from a table of thermodynamic properties and multiply by the flow rate.

according to thermodynamics 1st law sum of heat energy equal to sum of workdone so u have to calculate amount of energy

1. What is energy stored in compressed air?

Energy stored in compressed air is a form of potential energy that is created when air is compressed and stored in a container or tank. This stored energy can then be released and used to power various devices or machinery.

2. How is energy stored in compressed air?

Energy is stored in compressed air through a process called compression. This involves using a compressor to increase the pressure and decrease the volume of the air, resulting in the air molecules being packed closer together and storing more energy.

3. What are the advantages of using energy stored in compressed air?

There are several advantages to using energy stored in compressed air. It is a clean and renewable energy source, as air is readily available and does not produce harmful emissions. It is also relatively easy to store and transport, making it a convenient option for various applications.

4. What are the potential uses of energy stored in compressed air?

Energy stored in compressed air has a wide range of potential uses. It can be used to power vehicles, such as compressed air cars, or as a backup energy source for renewable energy systems. It is also commonly used in industrial and manufacturing processes, such as pneumatic tools and machinery.

5. What are the safety considerations when using energy stored in compressed air?

There are a few safety considerations to keep in mind when using energy stored in compressed air. It is important to ensure that the air tank or container is properly maintained and inspected regularly to prevent any leaks or damage. It is also essential to follow proper handling and storage procedures to avoid accidents or injuries.