Anybody know anything about parallelogram mounts

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of heavy astro-binoculars and the search for a suitable mount. The option of a parallelogram mount is mentioned, as well as the idea of using a spring instead of a counter weight. One participant shares their own DIY binocular mount using a front-surface silvered mirror and a wooden platform. The conversation also touches on the benefits of using a mount for comfortable viewing and sharing with others.
Saladsamurai
My girlfriend bought me some sweet astro-binoculars from Orion for Christmas (20x80s) and I would love to use them but they are heavy as hell (and shaky). I was looking around for one of those parallelogram mounts. I found a couple like http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=bino_accessories/~pcategory=binoculars/~product_id=05374" for about $230. Is this the best price I can get on these? Or should I just get something like a small tripod for like $80?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
F it...I'll just build some. I was wondering though. . . why a counter weight? Why not a spring to balance the binos?

That is how I plan to make mine. . . with a nice spring.

The parallelogram mount is nice in that it gets you away from the tripod a bit, and gives you more flexibility than a standard tripod with photo-head.

turbo-1 said:
The parallelogram mount is nice in that it gets you away from the tripod a bit, and gives you more flexibility than a standard tripod with photo-head.

Cool. Thats what it looks like. Any thoughts on the spring idea?

Springs are not that great unless you are pretty darned clever in mounting them to keep them reasonably consistent in their tension over the range of motion that the mount will be used in. Counter-weights are very simple, easy to adjust, and can adjusted if you should decide to mount a simple spotter on your mount to facilitate finding fields more easily.

As an option to tripod mounts, here is a binocular mount that I made. I was tired of getting a stiff neck when looking at objects high in the sky and settling for shaky views when my arms and neck got fatigued. Plus, it was hard to show people what I was looking at when they asked. Here is the solution, using an adjustable 12" x 12" front-surface silvered mirror from an ophthomologist's/optometrist's exam room. I found the mirror at an insurance-salvage place nearby. You may be able to get one from an outfit that salvages and resells medical equipment. Ask your eye doctor and he or she may be able to tell you where to get one, or they may even have an unused one kicking around. The metal uprights are cut from a 12x12 shelf bracket. I fount metal tabs to hold the wooden platform and used bolts washers and wingnuts to make the platform pivot friction adjustable.

I put two strips of felt on the platform to protect the binos, and installed two dowels that are spaced so that the bino's objective tubes cannot slide backward should the platform be tipped backward, not can the binos slip out of the bungie and slide toward the mirror. All you have to do is set the mount/mirror base/binos on a picnic table, adjust the mirror angle to acquire the area you want, aim and focus. It's nice - you can sit comfortably at a table and look down at the reflected image, like using a microscope. No more "kinks" in the neck, and if someone wants to know what you are oohing and aahing about, just back off and let them take a look through the eyepieces.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2990/binomount1iq1.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, simple and elegant mount. Most of the best views are at high angles anyway. Not sure if that's due to Murphy's law or haze/light pollution.

chemisttree said:
Very nice, simple and elegant mount. Most of the best views are at high angles anyway. Not sure if that's due to Murphy's law or haze/light pollution.
Thanks -that's why I built it.

Last edited:

1. What is a parallelogram mount?

A parallelogram mount is a type of mounting system used in various scientific and industrial applications. It consists of two parallel arms connected by hinges, allowing for movement and adjustment of the mounted object.

2. What are the advantages of using a parallelogram mount?

One advantage of using a parallelogram mount is its ability to maintain a fixed position while still allowing for movement and adjustment. This makes it useful for precise and repeatable experiments or measurements. It also provides stability and support for heavier objects.

3. How do I choose the right parallelogram mount for my application?

The right parallelogram mount for your application will depend on factors such as the weight and size of the object being mounted, the required range of motion, and the level of precision needed. It is important to carefully consider these factors before selecting a mount.

4. Can a parallelogram mount be used for optics and imaging applications?

Yes, parallelogram mounts are commonly used for optics and imaging applications. They provide stable support for optical components and allow for precise adjustments to achieve the desired image or alignment.

5. How do I properly maintain a parallelogram mount?

To ensure optimal performance, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the hinges and joints of a parallelogram mount. It is also recommended to periodically check for any wear or damage and replace any worn out parts as needed.