How to factor this monster into two quadratics?

• Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to factor the expression 144t^4 - 288t^3 + 864t^2 - 720t + 900. The hint given is to get two quadratic polynomials from it. The person attempted to divide it by 36 to simplify it, but then realized that fractions were not helpful. Another person suggested dividing by 144 and then factoring it as (at^2 + bt + c)(dt^2 + et + f), which would result in five equations to solve. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and expressing hope that such a complex problem would not be given on an exam.
motornoob101

Homework Statement

How to factor this monster? I am rather clueless
[tex]144t^{4}-288t^{3}+864t^{2}-720t+900[/tex]

Homework Equations

Hint is given that you can get two quadratic polynomials out of it..

The Attempt at a Solution

I can always cheat by using Maple to factor but I don't want do it! I want learn how to do it.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi motornoob! :smile:

Well, for a start, you can divide by 36 to get:

[tex]4t^{4}\,-\,8t^{3}\,+\,24t^{2}\,-\,20t\,+\,25[/tex]​

hmm … now to think … :frown:

Yeah I divided by 144 to get something smaller but the last number is like 6.25.. I said is no big deal.. but still, I can't factor this.

motornoob101 said:
Yeah I divided by 144 to get something smaller but the last number is like 6.25.. I said is no big deal.. but still, I can't factor this.

motornoob, there's no point in making fractions - the object is to simplify it!

Stick with mine:
[tex]4t^{4}\,-\,8t^{3}\,+\,24t^{2}\,-\,20t\,+\,25[/tex]​

I think the best way to do this is just to write it as

[tex](at^{2}\,+\,bt\,+\,c)(dt^{2}\,+\,et\,+\,f)\,,[/tex]​

and just multiply it out, giving you five equations to solve.

(I've done it - you can more-or-less guess the right answer once you've done that.)

Have a go! :smile:

Five equations to solve huh. I sure hope they don't give us something like this on an exam, considering this part of an integration problem. Thanks so much for the help.

What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a polynomial into simpler terms. It is important because it allows us to solve equations and find the roots of a polynomial.

How do I factor a quadratic equation?

To factor a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or the "AC" method. The "AC" method involves finding two numbers that multiply to equal the constant term (C) and add to equal the coefficient of the middle term (B).

What are the steps to factor a polynomial into two quadratics?

The steps to factor a polynomial into two quadratics are as follows:1. Determine the common factor, if any.2. Use the "AC" method or quadratic formula to factor the remaining quadratic equation.3. Check if the factors can be further simplified.4. Write the final factored form.

Can all polynomials be factored into two quadratics?

No, not all polynomials can be factored into two quadratics. Some polynomials may have complex or irrational roots that cannot be factored into real numbers.

Why is it called a "monster" when factoring into two quadratics?

The term "monster" is used when factoring into two quadratics because the process can be tedious and time-consuming, especially when dealing with large or complex polynomials.