Top DC Restaurant Recommendations Near the White House?

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, Chi recommends visiting the Adams Morgan area in DC for a first date, particularly the street near Connecticut and Columbia, for a variety of top-notch ethnic restaurants. For those who don't like spicy food, Chi suggests Clyde's of Georgetown or Zaytinya, Zola, Bebo Trattoria, or I Ricchi for a more expensive but delicious option. Cyrus also suggests trying Mediterranean food such as goat cheese pizza, and for those who aren't adventurous, they can go to a more familiar restaurant like T.G.I. Friday's in Foggy Bottom.
larkspur
Going to DC next week. I will be a few blocks from the White House. Any recommendations

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's Cyrus's hometown. He'd know of a classy place, for sure :smile: .

I can't help you with restaurants, but you will be a few blocks away from the tidal basin. You may catch the tail end of the Cherry blossom display.

So, where are we going on our first date!? :!) :!) :!) :!)

Are those great restaurants still there in the Adams Morgan area? There is one street, near Connecticut and Ontario (avenues) I think, that have a fantastic assortment of top notch ethnic places. It's been about 10 years since the last time I was there, but that's where you went for Ethiopian food, for example.

edit:

Looks like it's still there, but it's Connecticut and Columbia (and Kalorama, and 18th st, NW):
http://www.adamsmorgan.net/restaurants/

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
So, where are we going on our first date!? :!) :!) :!) :!)

How about Indian??:!)

I can't eat spicy food :frown:. Is there anything else you had in mind?

jimmysnyder said:
I can't help you with restaurants, but you will be a few blocks away from the tidal basin. You may catch the tail end of the Cherry blossom display.
I hope to catch some blossoms. I am taking my big camera and tripod with the little umbrella that attaches to the tripod in case it rains:smile:

Cyrus said:

No spice??:cry:

Chi Meson said:
Are those great restaurants still there in the Adams Morgan area? There is one street, near Connecticut and Ontario (avenues) I think, that have a fantastic assortment of top notch ethnic places. It's been about 10 years since the last time I was there, but that's where you went for Ethiopian food, for example.

edit:

Looks like it's still there, but it's Connecticut and Columbia (and Kalorama, and 18th st, NW):
http://www.adamsmorgan.net/restaurants/

Looks like a great place to start. Thanks Chi!

What kind of food do you like?

I know a good lebanese place. Hmmm what else do I know.

Cyrus said:
What kind of food do you like?

I know a good lebanese place. Hmmm what else do I know.
There are going to be eight of us...I will have to ask them.

Wow. Hmmm that's hard because its got to be something everyone likes.

You can't go wrong with clyde's of georgetown. Id say one of you get the crab appetizer and steal some of it from them becuase its huge. And then order for yourself the duck dish. Its really really good.

Cyrus said:
Yeah, half of us are adventurous and the other half aren't.

larkspur said:
Yeah, half of us are adventurous and the other half aren't.

Ugh, that makes it even harder. Okay, here's what you do...the 4 of you who are adventurous, head to a really great restaurant, and tell the other 4 if they don't like it, they can go to a deli for sandwiches. :biggrin:

I hope you get to see a cherry blossom blizzard! I think I'd enjoy that more than watching them in full bloom. Gosh, I'm tempted to drive out for the weekend just to see if I can catch that...if only hotel and gas prices weren't BOTH so expensive.

Cyrus said:

You can't go wrong with clyde's of georgetown. Id say one of you get the crab appetizer and steal some of it from them becuase its huge. And then order for yourself the duck dish. Its really really good.
Duck! That was one of the requests. Thanks Cyrus!

Moonbear said:
Ugh, that makes it even harder. Okay, here's what you do...the 4 of you who are adventurous, head to a really great restaurant, and tell the other 4 if they don't like it, they can go to a deli for sandwiches. :biggrin:

I hope you get to see a cherry blossom blizzard! I think I'd enjoy that more than watching them in full bloom. Gosh, I'm tempted to drive out for the weekend just to see if I can catch that...if only hotel and gas prices weren't BOTH so expensive.

That is what we did one year. Half of us went Mediterranean and the other half wouldn't even enter the place.:rolleyes:

larkspur said:
That is what we did one year. Half of us went Mediterranean and the other half wouldn't even enter the place.:rolleyes:

Mediterranean is perceived as being adventurous? Wow :rofl: !

Reminds me of my dear niece from Nebraska who came to visit us in Washington State. We went to a nice Italian place and ordered pizza with goat cheese on it. She was so flabergasted, she took a picture of the pizza, and sent it to her friends with the message, "Look at me eating goat cheese pizza! Have you ever heard of such a thing?"

larkspur said:
the other half aren't.

They can just go to T.G.I. Friday's in Foggy Bottom. :rolleyes: Eye Street at 21st, across the street from where Tower Records used to be, which is why I happened to eat there once.

lisab said:
Mediterranean is perceived as being adventurous? Wow :rofl: !
I know! The manager kept saying ""Nooooot spiiiiicy!" but they wouldn't even consider sitting on a pillow to eat.:grumpy:

jtbell said:
They can just go to T.G.I. Friday's in Foggy Bottom. :rolleyes: Eye Street at 21st, across the street from where Tower Records used to be, which is why I happened to eat there once.
That is about to their taste. I refuse to eat at any restaurant that I can eat at while I am home.

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Georgetown for ambience The Sequoia. Also just walking along the riverwalk is fun. The food is good, if the weather is nice, eat outside.

sequoiatd2.jpg

http://chefmoz.org/United_States/DC/Washington/Sequoia954347983.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
This is one of my favorite restaurants in Georgetown for ambience The Sequoia. Also just walking along the riverwalk is fun. The food is good, if the weather is nice, eat outside.

sequoiatd2.jpg

http://chefmoz.org/United_States/DC/Washington/Sequoia954347983.html

Thanks Evo!

Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
Thanks Evo!

Thats also in Gtown, right near clyde's. Gtown is your best bet because its nice, you can walk around, and there are all kinds of shops and food to pick from.

Cyrus said:
Thats also in Gtown, right near clyde's. Gtown is your best bet because its nice, you can walk around, and there are all kinds of shops and food to pick from.

We went to the new Clyde's that was only a few blocks from the conference. It was a Big Hit! Thanks Cyrus. We also went to Georgetown for shopping but only had a few hours to spend there. Another person in our party went to Saytinia and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks again everyone for the fine recommendations!

larkspur said:
We went to the new Clyde's that was only a few blocks from the conference. It was a Big Hit! Thanks Cyrus. We also went to Georgetown for shopping but only had a few hours to spend there. Another person in our party went to Saytinia and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks again everyone for the fine recommendations!

Were you in Mazza Gallery? Did you get the duck?

Cyrus said:
Were you in Mazza Gallery? Did you get the duck?
Gallery Place.
Nope! Crab cakes!

1. What are the top-rated restaurants near the White House?

Some of the top-rated restaurants near the White House include The Oval Room, Old Ebbitt Grill, and BLT Prime by David Burke.

2. Are there any affordable dining options near the White House?

Yes, there are several affordable dining options near the White House, such as Shake Shack, Sweetgreen, and Cava Mezze Grill.

3. Can I make a reservation at these restaurants?

Yes, most of these restaurants accept reservations. However, it is recommended to make reservations in advance, especially for popular restaurants.

4. Do these restaurants offer vegetarian/vegan options?

Yes, many of these restaurants offer vegetarian and vegan options on their menus. Some popular options include Founding Farmers, Equinox, and Zaytinya.

5. Are these restaurants suitable for business meetings or special occasions?

Yes, many of these restaurants offer private dining rooms and have a sophisticated atmosphere, making them suitable for business meetings or special occasions. Some examples include The Capital Grille, Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse, and The Lafayette at The Hay-Adams.