Calculating Magnetic Field from Parallel Wires

In summary, to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point between two long, parallel wires, one must use the formula B = m(I/(2*pi*r)), where m is the permeability of free space. If the currents in the wires are in opposite directions, the fields will be in the same direction and must be added together to find the total field. If the currents are in the same direction, the fields will be in opposite directions and must be subtracted to find the total field. The right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the fields from each wire.
DMac

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point midway between two long, parallel wires that are 1.0 m apart and have currents of 10.0 A and 20.0 A, respectively, if the currents are:

a) In opposite directions, and
b) In the same direction.

Homework Equations

B = m(I/(2*pi*r)), where m is NOT mass, it's the permeability of free space, whose value is 1.25663706 × 10^-6 (with appropriate units).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since r = 0.5 (midway between the wires), I calculated B (using the formula) to be 4 x 10^-6 T (for just the 10.0 A wire), and 8 x 10^-6 T (for the 20.0 A wire).

The answers are: a) 1.2 x 10^-5 T
b) 4.0 x 10^-6 T

I'm not quite sure how to do this problem at all, because my textbook gives a very brief and confusing explanation about Ampere's Law, with one simple example (where they basically showed how to plug numbers into the formula).

Could someone please explain how to do this problem? (It would be greatly appreciated if they explained what Ampere's Law is in the first place, because I don't understand the whole thing about the closed loop path and whatnot.) Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DMac,

You don't need to use Ampere's law at this point in the problem; Ampere's law would be used to derive the formula that you are using.

What I think you have not calculated yet is the directions of the fields from each wire. (If the are in the same direction, the total field is found by just adding the numbers together; if they are in opposite direction, you subtract the numbers to find the total field.)

So for part a, if the currents are going in opposite directions, what direction is the field from A and the field from B? It probably will help to draw a diagram, and then use the right hand rule for fields from a long wire.

Ah, I think I get it. Using the right hand rule, I found that for part a my fingers wrapped around in the same direction for both wires. And, consequently, I found that they were wrapped in opposite directions in part b. Thanks.

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field between two parallel wires is B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * d), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T) in the SI system or Gauss (G) in the CGS system.

Can the magnetic field between parallel wires be affected by the distance between the wires?

Yes, the magnetic field between parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. As the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases.

How does the direction of the current in the wires affect the magnetic field between them?

The direction of the current in the wires affects the direction of the magnetic field. Reversing the direction of the current will also reverse the direction of the magnetic field.