Uniform convergence of a series of functions

In summary, the series proves to converge absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1], but is not continuous. However, this also shows that the first series converges absolutely.
linearfish

Homework Statement

Prove:
(1) the series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^n (1-x)[/tex]
converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

(2) the series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n (1-x)[/tex]
converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown, by induction, that the limiting function of the second series is 1 - xn+1, which goes to 1. Thus the series of functions converges (absolutely, since all values are positive) but is 0 at x = 1, so thus not continuous. Therefore, the convergence of the second series is not uniform. However, this also shows that the first series converges absolutely.

Where I am stuck is with uniform convergence of the first series. Using partial sums I was able to show that the series converges to (1-x)/(1+x), but how do I show this is uniform? I don't think it's enough to say that the limiting function is continuous in the given interval.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or what I can use to prove uniform convergence? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Show that for all [tex]\epsilon > 1[/tex], [tex]\sum_n \left ( {-1 \over \epsilon} \right ) (\epsilon x)^n (1-x)[/tex] satisfies Abel's Uniform Convergence Test.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your restatement of series. Is it missing a power of n on the first term?

If that's the case, then I believe I need to show the following:
1. [tex]{( \epsilon x)^n } [/tex] is uniformly bounded and eventually monotonic.
2. [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty {\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)}^n (1-x) [/tex] converges uniformly

Is this correct? Thanks.

Let me try this:

I claim:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^N (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = (1-x) \frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = \frac{1-x}{1+x}[/tex]

If the first converges uniformly to the second, then as n goes to infinity:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

This is true since:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| =
\left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x} (-1) (-x)^{N+1}\right| = (x)^{N+1} \left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x}\right| \rightarrow 0 (1) = 0[/tex]

Hence the series converges uniformly. Can anyone validate this or pick out a problem with it? Thanks.

Not to bump this thread but I think I have a better solution now:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x} \left| -(-x)^{N+1} \right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x}(x)^{N+1} \leq (1-x)x^{N+1}[/tex]

Keeping in mind that we are on the interval [0,1], we can take the derivative of the last function and, setting it equal to 0, find the the function has a maximum value at x=(N+1)/(N+2). Thus,

[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \leq (1-x)x^{N+1} \leq (1- \frac{N+1}{N+2})(\frac{N+1}{N+2})^{N+1} \leq \frac{1}{N+2}[/tex]

Then this is less than any arbitrary epsilon if
[tex]N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} - 2[/tex]

Since N does not depend on the choice of x, this convergence is uniform.

I think this is the right idea but I'd appreciate any comments or validations. Thanks.

1. What is uniform convergence of a series of functions?

Uniform convergence of a series of functions refers to a type of convergence in which the limit function is approached uniformly by the sequence of functions. This means that the distance between the values of the functions and the limit function becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to a type of convergence in which the limit function is approached at each point individually. This means that the distance between the values of the functions and the limit function may vary at different points. In contrast, uniform convergence ensures that the distance between the values of the functions and the limit function is small at all points simultaneously.

3. What is the significance of uniform convergence in analysis?

Uniform convergence is important in analysis because it allows for the interchange of limits and integrals, making it a powerful tool in evaluating complicated integrals. It also helps to prove the continuity and differentiability of functions, as well as the convergence of series.

4. How is uniform convergence related to the concept of continuity?

Uniform convergence is closely related to the concept of continuity. A sequence of continuous functions that converges uniformly to a limit function will also result in a continuous limit function.

5. Are there any tests or criteria to determine uniform convergence?

Yes, there are several tests and criteria that can be used to determine uniform convergence, such as the Weierstrass M-test, the Cauchy criterion for uniform convergence, and the Dini's theorem. These tests involve checking certain conditions or properties of the sequence of functions to determine if it converges uniformly.