Can You Solve These Linear Operator Problems in Inner Product Spaces?

In summary, the conversation is discussing two homework problems. The first problem involves proving that U = TU* when U = TT* and T is a linear operator on an inner product space V. The second problem is to prove that T = T0 when T*T = T0, where T0 is the zero operator. The conversation also briefly touches on the notation used and a potential misprint in the problem.
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1. Let T be a linear operator on an inner product space V. Let U = TT*. Prove that U = TU*.

2. For a linear operator T on an inner product space V, prove that T*T = T0implies T = T0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. This appeared at the outset to be a relatively simple one, but for some reason I can't prove it:

Let [tex]v,x \in V[/tex].
I know that U* = U, and
<v,Ux> = <v,TT*x>
= <T*v,T*x>

<v,TU*x> = <T*v,U*x>
=<T*v,TT*x>

So there's always an extra T I can't get rid of. How do I prove this?

2. I'll try to prove <v,T*Tx> = <v,T0x>, knowing that (T*T)* = T*T
But as before this leads nowhere because there is again an extra T I can't get rid off:
<v,T*Tx> = <Tv,Tx> = <T0v,x>

<v,Tx> (This one only has one T on the inner product).

Physics news on Phys.org
It may appear simple at the outset, but you can't prove it, because it isn't even true. Let T=[[0,1],[1,0]]. T*=T. TT*=I=U. U*=U=I. U is not equal to TU*. Is there something about these linear operators you aren't telling us about?

Also, what is T_0, the zero operator?

Dick said:
It may appear simple at the outset, but you can't prove it, because it isn't even true. Let T=[[0,1],[1,0]]. T*=T. TT*=I=U. U*=U=I. U is not equal to TU*. Is there something about these linear operators you aren't telling us about?
I'm not understanding your notation here. What does [[0,1],[1,0]] mean?

morphism said:
Also, what is T_0, the zero operator?
These are the problems exactly as they given:

Linear Algebra 3rd Edn pg 346 by Stephen Friedberg et al said:
6. Let T be a linear operator on an inner product space V. Let U1 = T + T* and U2 = TT*. Prove that U1 = U1* and U2 = TU2*.
It's easy to do the first part for U1, but it's the U2 linear operator I have trouble with.

[quote="Linear Algebra 3rd Edn pg 347 by Stephen Friedberg et al]11. For a linear operator T on anner product space V, prove that T*T = T0 implies T = T0. Is the same result true if we assume that TT* = T0[/quote]Hey, T0 actually refers to the zero transformation T0: V -> W, T0(x) = 0 for all [tex]x\in V[/tex]. I didn't know that. Guess this is what happens when you skip chapters.

Now this can be done easily:
<v,T*Tx> = <Tv,Tx>= <v,T0x> = <Tv,0>
Then by the "cancellation law": (<x,y> = <x,z> for all x implies y=z) (Question: does this cancellation also mean that <z,x> = <y,x> implies z=y? I think I can prove it but my proof may be faulty and I need to know if this is true.)
Tx=0 for all x which imples T=T0

Defennder said:
I'm not understanding your notation here. What does [[0,1],[1,0]] mean?

It means a 2x2 matrix whose first row is [0,1] and second row is [1,0]. U=TT*, U is not equal to TU*. For a general matrix det(U)=det(T)^2 and det(TU*)=det(T)^3. Are you sure that extra T is in the problem isn't a typo?

Yeah I double-checked. The question is as stated.

Defennder said:
Yeah I double-checked. The question is as stated.

Then did you figure out what's going on? Is there some assumption from the previous parts of the exercise you are supposed to carry into this one? Because it's certainly not true for general linear transformations.

The question is standalone and the previous questions don't appear to have any relation to this one. I don't think it's a problem of notation either since T is used universally as a linear operator. Maybe it's a misprint or something.

Funny. It's an odd misprint to find in a 3rd edition.

There's actually a 4th edn out there. But I haven't managed to find a second-hand copy of it yet, so I'm stuck with the 3rd edn on loan from the library since they only allow a limited 2 hour loan for their 4th edn.

Check the errata in the 4th edition. Look at the original question, i) U1=T+T*. Prove U1=U1*. Easy. ii) U2=TT*. The obvious question is 'prove U2=U2*'. The T came from nowhere.

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. It can be thought of as a transformation that takes in a vector and produces a new vector as output.

2. What are some common examples of linear operators?

Some common examples of linear operators include differentiation and integration operators, matrix multiplication, and the Laplace operator. These operators are used in various branches of mathematics, physics, and engineering to model and solve problems.

3. How do you solve linear operator problems?

To solve a linear operator problem, you need to first identify the operator being applied and the vector space it is acting on. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue decomposition or diagonalization to find solutions. In some cases, specific conditions or constraints may also need to be considered.

4. What are the applications of linear operators?

Linear operators have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model systems and phenomena, solve differential equations, optimize processes, and perform data analysis.

5. How do linear operators relate to linear algebra?

Linear operators are fundamental to the study of linear algebra, as they are the main objects of interest in this field. Linear algebra deals with the properties and operations of vectors and vector spaces, and linear operators provide a way to transform and manipulate these objects in a systematic and mathematical way.