Maximizing area against a curved river

• Thread starter Mylala88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area River
In summary, the farmer will use fence on only three sides because the fourth side is a river that flows through his land. The path of the river is the parabola y=4-x^2. One of the ends of the fence is on the vertex of the parabola. and the other end of the fence is on the parabola somewhere in the first quadrant. Find the exact value of the max area.
Mylala88
A farmer has two miles of fence, and wants to enclose the max possible area for his cows. He will use fence on only three sides because the fourth side is a river that flows through his land. The path of the river is the parabola y=4-x^2. One of the ends of the fence is on the vertex of the parabola. and the other end of the fence is on the parabola somewhere in the first quadrant. Find the exact value of the max area.

Here an image of how i labeled the variables on the graph and the two equations I got:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1655/problemnl2.png

2 = t + 2s - a

The professor only told us to label that point (s,t) and that we'd have to differentiate the integral eventually.

I'm confused about which letters should be treated as variables because I know I have to work with the perimeter equation to substitute it in. Any helpful hints or nudges in a good direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mylala88 said:
A farmer has two miles of fence, and wants to enclose the max possible area for his cows. He will use fence on only three sides because the fourth side is a river that flows through his land. The path of the river is the parabola y=4-x^2. One of the ends of the fence is on the vertex of the parabola. and the other end of the fence is on the parabola somewhere in the first quadrant. Find the exact value of the max area.

Hi Mylala88! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm a little confused … could you please clarify:

does the problem specify that the fence must go parallel to the axes (because I would expect the maximum area to be for a nearly circular fence)?

does the problem specify that the fence is to the right of the parabola (because it's obvious that a fence to the left would enclose a larger area)? :confused:

it's a rectangular (sort of) shaped fencing (except for the curved part). and the original picture had it the fencing on the right side.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1417/86034903vj0.jpg

Forgetting (x,t)
try this one.

I have one equation in the diagram,
and you should get other two

you should get
A = ...
and constraint
maybe
x^2+x+2b = 2

Now, it's just a simple problem if you use langrange thing

del f = lamda . del g one ...

Last edited by a moderator:
the only problem is that this is a calc 1 class, and we're not permitted to use that method yet. i wish i could since a friend said it'd be easier.

Mylala88 said:
the only problem is that this is a calc 1 class, and we're not permitted to use that method yet. i wish i could since a friend said it'd be easier.

Forget it, use subsitution

initially, you have three equations and three unknowns.
make it to one eqn one var (to area eqn)
and differentiate the area eqn

I don't think it matters which var you choose. You would have one var in the end ..

Hi Mylala88! :smile:

Your integral [tex]\int_0^a (a\ -\ 4\ +\ x^2) dx[/tex] is wrong.

You've taken vertical slices of thickness dx, so their length should be … ? :smile:

Ah! I didn't even realize that! It's from 4 - t to 4. Thanks! I'll keep trying.

1. How can I determine the maximum area that can be enclosed by a curved river?

The maximum area can be determined by using the formula A = πr2, where r is the radius of the circle formed by the curved river. This formula can be applied if the curved river is in the shape of a perfect circle. If the river has a different shape, a more complex formula may need to be used.

2. Is there a specific shape that can maximize the area against a curved river?

Yes, the shape that can maximize the area against a curved river is a circle. This is because a circle has the same distance from its center to any point on its circumference, which allows for an equal distribution of area.

3. Can I use calculus to find the maximum area against a curved river?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the maximum area against a curved river. This can be done by finding the derivative and setting it equal to 0 to find the critical point, which will give the maximum area.

4. Is it possible to maximize the area against a curved river without using complex mathematical formulas?

Yes, it is possible to maximize the area against a curved river without using complex mathematical formulas. This can be done by using a method called "trial and error", where different shapes are tested until the one with the largest area is found.

5. Are there any real-life applications for maximizing area against a curved river?

Yes, there are various real-life applications for maximizing area against a curved river. For example, in urban planning, this concept can be used to determine the most efficient use of land near a curved river. It can also be applied in agriculture to determine the optimal shape and size of fields near a curved river.