Calculate Water Speed in Venturi Meter

In summary: V of the Energy Balance for Venturi Meter:In summary, the venturi meter calculates the flow speed according to the relation: 1.77*10^-5 = flow speed in meters per second
ahello888a
Venturi meter help!

Homework Statement

A venturi meter is measuring the flow of water; it has a main diameter of 3.0 cm tapering down to a throat diameter of 1.0 cm. If the pressure difference is measured to be 16 mmHg, what is the speed of the water entering the venturi throat?

Homework Equations

-+P_2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7B%7B%5Crho+%5Cleft%28+%7BA_1%5E2+-+A_2%5E2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7D.gif

Got that equation from a previous part of the problem where it asked me to "Show that the flow speed measured by a venturi meter (see Figure 13–32 in the textbook) is given by the relation"

The Attempt at a Solution

I used [tex]\rho[/tex] to be density of water. I converted the diameters to radius in meters. I converted the pressure to "m-Hg". I get 1.77*10^-5. The homework program keeps telling me I'm wrong. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Thank You for the help!

Attachments

• -+P_2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7B%7B%5Crho+%5Cleft%28+%7BA_1%5E2+-+A_2%5E2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7D.gif
    -+P_2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7B%7B%5Crho+%5Cleft%28+%7BA_1%5E2+-+A_2%5E2+%7D+%5Cright%29%7D%7D%7D.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ahello888a! :smile:

(you said mmHg as the top, and m Hg at the bottom … is that a typo?)

erm … we need to see your full calculation if we're going to find out where it's wrong! :wink:

ahello888a said:

Homework Statement

A venturi meter is measuring the flow of water; it has a main diameter of 3.0 cm tapering down to a throat diameter of 1.0 cm. If the pressure difference is measured to be 16 mmHg, what is the speed of the water entering the venturi throat?

Homework Equations

Got that equation from a previous part of the problem where it asked me to "Show that the flow speed measured by a venturi meter (see Figure 13–32 in the textbook) is given by the relation"

The Attempt at a Solution

I used [tex]\rho[/tex] to be density of water. I converted the diameters to radius in meters. I converted the pressure to "m-Hg". I get 1.77*10^-5. The homework program keeps telling me I'm wrong. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Thank You for the help!

Start by writing out the energy balance using the Bernoulli equation.

Hints:
Assume the elevation change is zero.
Neglect the small friction.
Use the continuity equation.

Hope this helps.

CS

What is a Venturi meter and how does it work?

A Venturi meter is a device used to measure the flow speed of a fluid, such as water. It works by creating a constriction in the flow of the fluid, causing a decrease in pressure at that point. This decrease in pressure is then measured and used to calculate the flow speed of the fluid.

What factors affect the accuracy of water speed calculations in a Venturi meter?

The accuracy of water speed calculations in a Venturi meter can be affected by several factors. These include the shape and size of the constriction, the viscosity of the fluid, and any disturbances or irregularities in the flow.

How do you calculate water speed in a Venturi meter?

To calculate water speed in a Venturi meter, you will need to measure the pressure difference between the two points in the meter, as well as the diameter of the constriction and the density of the fluid. Using these values, you can then use the Bernoulli equation to calculate the velocity of the fluid.

What is the Bernoulli equation and why is it important in calculating water speed in a Venturi meter?

The Bernoulli equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and height. It is important in calculating water speed in a Venturi meter because it allows us to relate the pressure difference measured in the meter to the velocity of the fluid.

Can a Venturi meter be used to measure the flow speed of any type of fluid?

No, a Venturi meter is typically designed and calibrated for a specific type of fluid. Using it to measure the flow speed of a different type of fluid may result in inaccurate calculations. It is important to use the appropriate Venturi meter for the specific fluid being measured.