Maximizing y=kx³.ln(1/x) with Positive Constant k | Math Homework Help

In summary, Dan is having trouble with his maths assignment which involves finding the maximum value of y= kx³ . ln(1/x) where k is a positive constant and the value of x in terms of e. After discussing the concept of derivatives and using the gradient function to find the x-coordinate of the maximum, it is determined that the maximum x value is x=1/(e^(1/3)). Dan is grateful for the help and clarity provided by the conversation.
dan_fmx
Hi I am new on the forums here. I am having troube with my maths assignment. It says to find the maximum value of y= kx³ . ln(1/x) where k is a positive constant. I am also told to find the value of x, in terms of e. I am really struggling and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you know about calculus you can use to find the max value of a function?

If this is an assignment, I'm sure it relates to what you are currently covering. Does that, by any chance, have something to do with derivatives? Can you (perhaps looking back in your notes) tell us how, in general, you can find the x-coordinate where the function y(x) takes its maximum?

The maximum will be found when the gradient function = 0. I found the gradient function using the product rule as y'=-x²+3x².Ln(1/x). Then when 0=-x²+3x².Ln(1/x) x= 0.7165. How ever it says in terms of e and this is where i get really stuck. I am drawing a blank on this one

Okay, -x2+ 3x2ln(1/x)= x2(3 ln(1/x)- 1)= 0 so one possible solution is x= 0. The other is given by 3 ln(1/x)= 1 or ln(1/x)= 1/3. Surely you can find x without resorting to a calculator? If ln(x)= a, the x= ea by definition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow it all became so clear, thanks so much for all the help everyone. I found the maximum x value to be x=1/(e^(1/3)). Thanks everyone for helping

What is "Maximum value homework"?

"Maximum value homework" is a type of assignment or task given to students in a scientific field, where they are asked to calculate or determine the maximum value of a given variable or set of variables.

Why is "Maximum value homework" important in scientific studies?

In scientific studies, determining the maximum value of a variable can provide valuable insights and understanding of a system. It can also help in making predictions and decisions based on the data.

What are some common techniques used to solve "Maximum value homework"?

Some common techniques used to solve "Maximum value homework" include calculus, optimization methods, and computer simulations.

Are there any real-world applications for solving "Maximum value homework"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving "Maximum value homework". For example, in engineering, determining the maximum load a structure can withstand is crucial for ensuring its safety and stability.

What are some tips for solving "Maximum value homework" effectively?

Some tips for solving "Maximum value homework" effectively include understanding the problem thoroughly, identifying the relevant variables, and using appropriate mathematical techniques. It is also important to double-check the calculations and interpretations to ensure accuracy.