Develop this function into maclaurin series

In summary, The conversation is about developing a function into a Maclaurin series and checking the results using a TI-89 calculator. The approach involves setting up a polynomial approximation and then taking derivatives to solve for the coefficients. The only mistake in the attempt at a solution was an overall sign, which was later corrected.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey.
I need to develop this function into maclaurin series.
Did I do it correctly?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

Your picture didn't seem to get uploaded right.

But all you want to do is set up a polynomial approximation, like sin(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3 (and so on), and then keep taking derivatives on both sides until you can solve for a, then b, then c, and so on.

If you have TI-89 you can check you results by going to the algebra menu and entering taylor if your center is 0.

Last edited:

Alex6200 said:
Your picture didn't seem to get uploaded right.

But all you want to do is set up a polynomial approximation, like sin(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3 (and so on), and then keep taking derivatives on both sides until you can solve for a, then b, then c, and so on.

If you have TI-89 you can check you results by going to the algebra menu and entering taylor if your center is 0.

It looks pretty good. Except I think you are off by an overall sign. 6-5x-x^2=-(x-1)(x+6).

Dick said:
It looks pretty good. Except I think you are off by an overall sign. 6-5x-x^2=-(x-1)(x+6).

Yeah, I noticed it later on, 10x.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of a Taylor series, where the expansion point is at x=0.

2. How do you develop a function into a Maclaurin series?

To develop a function into a Maclaurin series, you need to follow a few steps:1. Determine the function and its derivatives at x=0.2. Write out the general form of the Maclaurin series.3. Substitute the values of the derivatives into the general form.4. Simplify the expression and write it as an infinite sum.

3. Why are Maclaurin series useful?

Maclaurin series are useful because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with simpler ones. They also help us to better understand the behavior of a function near a specific point, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What is the difference between a Maclaurin series and a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the expansion point is at x=0. In other words, all the derivatives of a function at x=0 are used to develop a Maclaurin series, while a Taylor series can be developed at any point on the function.

5. Can all functions be represented by a Maclaurin series?

No, not all functions can be represented by a Maclaurin series. For a function to have a Maclaurin series, it must be infinitely differentiable at x=0.