Brain activity is 30 times more active when emotional

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of affirmations and their effects on the brain. John, who practices positive affirmations, also spends a large portion of his day thinking negatively. The conversation also touches on the search for scientific evidence supporting the impact of emotions on brain activity. The use of MRI studies is suggested for this research.
rookie37
I have a few emotion questions and how it effect the brain

I'm know little of physics or medicine

I'm doing research on affirmations.

John does positive affirmations
john reads a self help book and visualises and repeats;
I'm rich and successful many times. He does this for 30 minutes each day

However when he does this he is passive

Then he spends most of his day thinking about how much the world sucks. He has insomnia and spends hours awake thinking how somebody screwed him over.

In other words, He is doing affirmations about the negative. He is very emotional and thinks how the world sucks 7 hour each day, 7 days a week and has done this for years.

Obviously this overrides his positive affirmations.

I'm looking for numbers and scientific proof supporting this such as case studies or cat scans
I.E. the brain activity is 30 times more active when emotional than when passive

Biology news on Phys.org

rookie37 said:
I'm looking for numbers and scientific proof supporting this such as case studies or cat scans
I.E. the brain activity is 30 times more active when emotional than when passive

I don't know of any studies that would address the specific question you're asking, though will point out that I would doubt you'd see a difference overall in activity of the brain. What you're instead likely to see is that when someone is saying something they don't really believe, the activity will be increased in places like language centers of the brain. When they are feeling very negative the rest of the time, the activity would then likely be increased in the emotional centers of the brain and not so much in language centers (unless they really are muttering this out loud all day).

Just because we focus on discussions of science here, I'm going to be a bit picky about your terminology though, just for the sake of learning. You may find scientific evidence to support your argument, but proof is not something science provides because what we are always doing is attempting to falsify hypotheses...trying to disprove things, not prove them.

As you're looking or waiting for other responses here, I will also point out that the types of studies you're looking for should be MRI studies, not CT scans. CT scans will identify gross abnormalities, restrictions of blood flow, strokes, tumors, that sort of thing. They really don't identify functional differences in the brain activity. MRIs can do that.

Also, be careful not to bias your search expecting that increases in brain activity must be associated with more efficacy. You need to consider what each part of the brain does. An area that is inhibitory being less active could be more important than a stimulatory area being more active, for example.

I would like to clarify that brain activity cannot be quantified as "30 times more active" as it is a complex process involving various regions and functions of the brain. However, research has shown that emotional arousal can lead to increased brain activity in certain regions, such as the amygdala, which is responsible for processing emotions.

Regarding the effect of emotions on the brain, studies have shown that negative emotions, such as stress, can have a detrimental effect on brain function. Chronic stress can lead to changes in the brain's structure and function, affecting memory, decision-making, and overall cognitive abilities.

In the case of affirmations, it is important to note that simply repeating positive statements may not be effective if the person's underlying emotions and thoughts are still negative. This is because the brain is wired to pay more attention to negative thoughts and emotions, making it difficult to override them with positive affirmations.

To support the claim that negative emotions can override positive affirmations, studies have shown that individuals who engage in negative self-talk and rumination have decreased brain activity in areas associated with self-control and positive emotions.

As for scientific proof, there have been numerous studies using brain imaging techniques such as fMRI and PET scans to measure brain activity during emotional states. While there may not be a specific study on the exact scenario described, there is evidence that emotions can have a significant impact on brain activity and function.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would suggest that in order for affirmations to be effective, it is important to address and manage negative emotions and thoughts. This can be achieved through techniques such as cognitive-behavioral therapy and mindfulness practices. Simply repeating positive statements without addressing underlying negative emotions may not be as effective in changing one's mindset and behavior.

What does it mean for brain activity to be 30 times more active when emotional?

It means that the level of neural firing and communication between different regions of the brain increases significantly during emotional states, compared to when a person is in a neutral or non-emotional state.

What types of emotions can trigger this increase in brain activity?

Any type of emotion, whether positive or negative, can trigger this increase in brain activity. Emotions such as happiness, anger, fear, love, and sadness have all been shown to activate different regions of the brain.

Can this increased brain activity be measured?

Yes, scientists can measure brain activity using various techniques such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) or electroencephalography (EEG). These methods allow for the detection and measurement of changes in brain activity during emotional experiences.

Why does the brain become more active during emotional states?

The exact reason for this increase in brain activity during emotional states is not fully understood. However, it is believed that emotions serve as a way for the brain to prioritize and focus on important information and stimuli, leading to increased neural activity in relevant brain regions.

Does this mean that people who are more emotional have more active brains?

Not necessarily. While it is true that emotions can trigger an increase in brain activity, the level of brain activity also depends on individual factors such as genetics, environmental factors, and overall brain health. Additionally, the intensity and duration of emotions can also affect the level of brain activity.