What Fortran Software Should Beginners Use for Programming Classes?

In summary: We also have a code repository at github.com where people can clone the repository and build the program they want. That is also free.I hope this is of some help.In summary, if you don't have a Fortran compiler, Emacs editor and a command-line shell, then you will need to find someone that does that can help you out with the installation.
optics.tech
Hi everyone,

Currently my friend is taking fortran programming class at his university.

The instructor said every student should own any fortran software.

As I don’t have much know about it, can anyone recommend me any fortran software for this fortran programming class?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I took Fortran 77 in college. That was over 20 years ago. Never used it since then. Can't think of anyone that uses Fortran today, but I'm sure there are some folks that do.

"Any Fortran software" basically means one needs to have handy:

1) a Fortran compiler (for producing executable program out of written code)

2) a text editor (for writing the code)

3) a command-line shell (for running the compiler and the program)

Unfortunately, I cannot tell which compiler to obtain and how to install and run it under a windows operating system, which I will assume that you and/or your friend are using barring no mention of it. Oddly, though, shouldn't the instructor have provided some recommendations himself?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

caslav.ilic said:
shouldn't the instructor have provided some recommendations himself?

Or herself?

Q_Goest said:
I took Fortran 77 in college. That was over 20 years ago. Never used it since then. Can't think of anyone that uses Fortran today, but I'm sure there are some folks that do.
My company uses FORTRAN pretty heavily, especially in the areas of aerodynamics and cycle calculations. I personally don't use it though. I too took FORTRAN 77. It has been a while since making programs that tell you if a word is a palindrome.

Wikipedia has a good history of fortran for those interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all,
I have windows XP and as I had to use Fortran 90 at University, I investigated about how to get Fortran on my home computer.
I've downloaded gfortran as compiler, Emacs as text editor and I make Fortran run under the "execute" windows command. All works perfectly and all is free.
If I remember well, I followed a link from the wikipedia page of Fortran to download, install and know the commands of how to execute Fortran programs.
Good luck.

I think I work with Fred, but anyways, I personally use VIM as my text editor. I prefer to do it in a native Linux environment, but Cygwin is a linux emulator which is nice. All free of course.

Likewise, I know a lot of people that like Notebook++ as a text editor. That will let you write the code. Then you need to compile the code into a working program. We use the free compiler g95, which is available at www.g95.org. That is free open-source, and there are installers for Windows.

1. What is FORTRAN and what is it used for?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a programming language designed specifically for scientific and engineering applications. It is used for writing complex mathematical and computational programs for tasks such as data analysis, simulations, and numerical computations.

2. How do I start learning FORTRAN?

One way to start learning FORTRAN is to find online tutorials or courses that provide step-by-step instructions and practice exercises. You can also refer to the official FORTRAN documentation and practice writing simple programs to get familiar with the syntax and basic concepts.

3. What are the main features of FORTRAN?

FORTRAN is a powerful language with features such as array operations, built-in functions for mathematical operations, and support for complex numbers and logical expressions. It also has a simple and easy-to-read syntax, making it suitable for scientific and engineering applications.

4. Can FORTRAN be used for modern programming?

Yes, FORTRAN is still widely used in scientific and engineering fields and has been continuously updated to support modern programming techniques and standards. It is also compatible with other programming languages and can be integrated with newer technologies for easier data processing and analysis.

5. What resources are available for troubleshooting FORTRAN programs?

There are various online forums and communities dedicated to FORTRAN where you can ask for help and receive guidance from experienced programmers. You can also refer to official documentation and debugging tools to identify and fix errors in your program.