Heat of Formation for Ammonium chloride

In summary, the problem is to find the heat of formation of NH4CL using calculated variables and two more reactions. The calculated HF for ammonia and hydrochloric acid is -247.7kj/mol, but the correct approach is to use Hess's Law and find the heat of reaction between gaseous ammonia and hydrogen chloride, then add it to the heats of formation of the reagents.
twilliams34

Homework Statement

The problem statement is to find the heat of formation of NH4CL using the calculated variables and two more reactions.
If I calculated it correctly the HF for ammonia plus hydrochloric acid to be -247.7kj/mol. I am not sure what else it is that I need to do.

Homework Equations

I am not sure how I am supposed to calculate delta H to begin with, I think that's where my problems are laying at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I figured out what you did. It looks like you just added the heats of formation and aqueous heats of solution for ammonia and hydrogen chloride to get that number. What you need to do is use Hess’s Law: find the heat of reaction between gaseous ammonia and hydrogen chloride and then add these to the heats of formation of the reagents. This should give the correct answer.

1. What is the heat of formation for ammonium chloride?

The heat of formation for ammonium chloride is -314.4 kJ/mol.

2. How is the heat of formation for ammonium chloride determined?

The heat of formation for ammonium chloride is determined by measuring the energy released or absorbed during the formation of one mole of ammonium chloride from its constituent elements in their standard states.

3. What factors can affect the heat of formation for ammonium chloride?

The heat of formation for ammonium chloride can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the reaction.

4. Why is the heat of formation for ammonium chloride important?

The heat of formation for ammonium chloride is important because it provides information about the stability and energy content of the compound. It can also be used to calculate the enthalpy change for a chemical reaction involving ammonium chloride.

5. How is the heat of formation for ammonium chloride used in industrial processes?

The heat of formation for ammonium chloride is used in industrial processes to determine the energy requirements and efficiency of reactions involving this compound. It is also used in the production of fertilizers and in the manufacturing of various chemicals.