Sheet Metal Joining: Crimpable or Snap Fit?

In summary, the individual is looking for a simple way to join two sheet metal parts, potentially using a crimpable or snap fit method. They have not seen any snap fit designs for sheet metal and are wondering if there is a standard practice for this. The thickness of the aluminum sheet metal is between 1/32-1/16". They also ask if there is a way to create crimpable flanges for joining the parts and if they can be run through a crimper. They mention having experience with sheet metal through their father's profession.
DylanB
I'm looking to assemble two sheet metal parts (in the manner a bit like joining two halves of a box) in a simple manner that is either crimpable or some sort of snap fit. I have not seen any snap fit sheet metal designs and I wonder if there is any sort of standard practice (the aluminum sheet metal will be ~1/32-1/16" thick. Otherwise, is there a good way to create crimpable flanges in order to join these parts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can the parts be run through a (stone-age) crimper in which the edges are progressively forced into compliance and folded and mashed? My father is a retired sheet-metal mechanic and I have build a lot of stuff over the years just cadging stuff from him and using his tools.

1. What is the difference between crimpable and snap fit sheet metal joining?

Crimping involves deforming the sheet metal in order to secure it in place, while snap fitting involves using pre-designed features on the sheet metal to snap it into place without altering its shape.

2. Which method is stronger: crimping or snap fitting?

Crimping typically results in a stronger joint, as the deformation of the metal creates a more secure connection. However, snap fitting can still be strong enough for many applications.

3. What are the advantages of using crimpable sheet metal joining?

Crimping can be a quicker and more cost-effective method, as it does not require special features on the sheet metal and can be done with simple tools. It also creates a more secure joint that is less likely to come apart.

4. When is snap fitting a better option than crimping?

Snap fitting is often used in situations where the sheet metal needs to be easily removable, such as in electronic devices or machinery. It also allows for more precise alignment of the parts being joined.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using snap fit sheet metal joining?

One potential disadvantage of snap fitting is that it may not be as strong as crimping, so it may not be suitable for heavy-duty applications. Additionally, special features on the sheet metal may be required, which can add to the cost and complexity of the joining process.