I'm having trouble finding a job (physics)

• Physics
  • Thread starter Ascent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Physics
In summary: I've found that a lot of times companies will post their job openings online. And it's also a great way to double check if the company you're thinking about applying to is real or fake.In summary, the physics graduate has difficulty finding a job due to their lack of specific qualifications. They recommend that the applicant make sure they are looking after themselves by doing things like networking and research. They also advise that the applicant try looking for a job online.
Ascent
Hi new friends

I finished my degree last year (BSc majoring in Physics), but am now having trouble finding a job. I'm located in Australia. I'm not sure what jobs I am qualified for. A lab tech? Lab assistant? I can't find many employers looking for a physics graduate.

To be honest, I'm not really that interested in physics. The only reason I chose to do this degree was because it was the only thing I could tolerate during high school. And like a lot of other people, I was pushed into university by my folks. My passion in life revolves around music. One day I hope to become a professional musician.

But for now, I'm in need of a better paying job. And since I have a degree I may as well use it to my advantage. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy science.. I just don't want to dedicate my whole life to it.

Any guidance would be extremely helpful (especially if it is specific to Aussies :P)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Finding a job can be an awfully confidence-crushing experience when you're not sure what you want to do. So first I want to wish you good luck and recommend that you make sure you are looking after yourself. I think it's awful for most people.

The only thing I've learned over time is that a job-search tends to be more successful if it errs on the side of being very specific. So even if you feel like you don't mind what job you do and you just want to get out there and have a go at stuff, you still need to come up with a specific job and atleast pretend that is what you really want to do.

It seems that most people who are in a position to hire you feel no inclination at all to try to think of how they can use your skills. You really have to tell them. It's best if you think of them as having no imagination at all. You have to create a very clear picture in their head of how you would fit in their organization.

There's a lot you can do with a physics degree - it shows you're numerate, reasonably intelligent, scientifically aware, etc. - but it doesn't really qualify you for anything exactly. So it's really important that you spend some time deciding on a job (or maybe a few) that you wouldn't mind doing. And then make up applications (resumes and letters) that are very specifically linked to each job. You have to sell yourself the person and not so much the physics graduate. At this stage, you can do whatever you want (after some work) so you should probably focus on what you want to do, more than on what you can do.

Alot of it is just confidence.

I hope this helps.
(P.S.: I'm Australian too.)

Last edited:
Sorry - I just thought of one other thing. When I applied for jobs, I found it really helpful if I did a lot of research about the company I was applying to work for. I think they might have been more inclined to hire me because they were flattered I had studied their history, goals, specialities and so forth, and then let that come out in subtle ways in the interview/application letters.

Also, I realize I didn't answer your actual question really - what physics gives you an edge with. My non-academic work was with an energy/electricity company. I hated it, but I think that might have just been the company and the department I was in.

They need people to make models projecting the energy consumption of their customers and the financial ramifications of that. Just knowing what a megawatt is and how to write a computer-model gives you a big advantage and it had the potential to be interesting work - though my particular job sucked. Energy is a big thing at the moment...

Last edited:
Have you thought of combining your physics qualifications with your interests in music?I am thinking of something along the lines of being a sound engineer.In Australia do they have something equivelent to an Institute of Physics?If so they may be able to provide you with some literature about what employment opportunities there are for physicists.

I agree with Tiger99.

Unfortunately there aren't too many people who inherently recognize the skills that a physics degree will give you. You really have to market yourself in this world.

I think you really have to look at what kind of experience you have at this point. Did you do any work (paid or volunteer) while you were a student? What sudent organizations did you belong to? What kinds of work have you done that you've liked?

Another question is are you willing to pile some technical training on top of your degree?

1. What job opportunities are available for someone with a physics degree?

As a physicist, there are a variety of job opportunities available in fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. Some specific job titles that may be of interest include research scientist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, physics teacher, and medical physicist.

2. Why am I having trouble finding a job with a physics degree?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the job market for physicists may be competitive, especially in certain geographic locations. Additionally, some job roles may require specific skills or experience that you may not have yet. It could also be helpful to review your resume and cover letter to ensure they effectively highlight your strengths and qualifications.

3. What skills or qualifications do I need to be successful in a physics job?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles, many employers may also value skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. Depending on the specific job role, other qualifications such as programming experience or laboratory skills may also be beneficial.

4. How can I stand out in the job market as a physics graduate?

One way to stand out in the job market is to gain relevant experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field and attending job fairs may also help you to make valuable connections and learn about potential job opportunities.

5. Are there any additional resources or opportunities that can help me find a job in physics?

Yes, there are many resources and opportunities available to help you in your job search. These may include job search websites specific to the field of physics, professional organizations related to your area of interest, and career development workshops or seminars. Your university's career center may also offer support and guidance in your job search.