How Do You Compute the DFT of Periodic Signals?

In summary, the problem gives three periodic sequences and asks for the discrete Fourier transform of each sequence, which is defined by DFTn {x[n]}. The first sequence, x[n], is a delta function with a period of N. The second sequence, x[n], is a difference of two step functions with a period of N and a difference of K. The third sequence, x[n], is a cosine function with a period of N and a variable M in the argument. The solution can be found by following the definition of the discrete Fourier transform and using the given equations and properties. Additional resources, such as Wikipedia, can provide further guidance and explanation.
ankh

Homework Statement

Find the discrete Fourier transform X[k] = DFTn {x[n]} of the following
periodic sequences x[n] = x[n - N] with period N:

(a) For n = 0 . . .N - 1 we have x[n] =[tex]\delta[/tex][n].
(b) For n = 0 . . .N - 1 we have x[n] = [tex]\mu[/tex][n] -[tex]\mu[/tex][n - K] with K < N.
(c) x[n] = cos( (2*pi*M*n)/N ).

Homework Equations

We don't have a book for my digital processing class and i missed couple of classes so i have no idea how to start these problems. A little hint or a link to a good tutorial/source would be greatly appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The discrete Fourier transform (DFT) is a mathematical operation that converts a discrete signal from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. It is used extensively in digital signal processing and has many applications in various fields such as communications, image processing, and audio processing.

To find the DFT of a periodic sequence x[n] with period N, we can use the formula:

X[k] = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x[n] e^{-i2\pi kn/N}

where k is the frequency index and i is the imaginary unit. This formula essentially calculates the contribution of each sample in the time domain to the frequency domain at a particular frequency k.

(a) For the sequence x[n] = \delta[n], we can see that it is a single impulse at n=0 with all other samples being zero. Plugging this into the DFT formula, we get:

X[k] = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} \delta[n] e^{-i2\pi kn/N}

Since \delta[n] is zero for all n except n=0, the only term that contributes to the sum is when n=0. Therefore, we get:

X[k] = e^{-i2\pi k(0)/N} = 1

This means that the DFT of the sequence x[n] = \delta[n] is a constant value of 1 for all frequency indices k.

(b) For the sequence x[n] = \mu[n] -\mu[n - K], we can see that it is a step function with a step of K at n=0. Plugging this into the DFT formula, we get:

X[k] = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} (\mu[n] -\mu[n - K]) e^{-i2\pi kn/N}

We can split this into two separate sums:

X[k] = \sum_{n=0}^{K-1} (\mu[n] -\mu[n - K]) e^{-i2\pi kn/N} + \sum_{n=K}^{N-1} (\mu[n] -\mu[n - K]) e^{-i2\pi kn/N}

The first sum is equal to:

\sum_{n=0}^{K-1} (\mu[n] -\mu[n - K

1. What is the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT)?

The Discrete Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze and decompose a discrete signal into its individual frequency components. It takes a discrete signal in the time domain and transforms it into a discrete signal in the frequency domain.

2. How is the DFT different from the Fourier Transform?

The DFT is a discrete version of the Fourier Transform, which is a continuous mathematical operation. While the Fourier Transform can be applied to both continuous and discrete signals, the DFT can only be applied to discrete signals. The DFT also produces a discrete output, while the Fourier Transform produces a continuous output.

3. What is the purpose of the DFT?

The DFT can be used to analyze the frequency content of a signal, which is useful for tasks such as filtering, compression, and noise removal. It can also be used to convert a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

4. What is the computational complexity of the DFT?

The computational complexity of the DFT is O(n^2), where n is the length of the input signal. This means that as the length of the input signal increases, the time required to compute the DFT also increases significantly. However, there are more efficient algorithms, such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), which reduce the computational complexity to O(nlogn).

5. What are some practical applications of the DFT?

The DFT has a wide range of applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, audio processing, and data compression. It is used in technologies such as digital cameras, audio and video compression, and medical imaging. It is also used in scientific research for analyzing and interpreting data from experiments and simulations.