Proof by induction for inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a sequence, defined by X1=3 and Xn+1= (6Xn+1)/(2Xn+5) for all n\in N, is always greater than 0 for all values of n. The conversation presents a solution using induction and shows the necessary steps to prove this statement.
Easty

Homework Statement

A sequence (Xn) is defined by X1=3 and Xn+1= (6Xn+1)/(2Xn+5) for all n[tex]\in[/tex] N.

Prove by induction or otherwise that Xn-1 > 0 for all n [tex]\in[/tex] N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure with what to do when dealing with inequalities in an induction proof. Initial i tried subing in the recursion formula when attempting the inductive step but i don't think it gets me anywhere. I'd really appreciate any guidance on where to start.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The proposition is clearly true for n = 1 and n = 2, so suppose it's true for n = k. I.e., that xk > 1.

For the induction step, you have to show that xk + 1 > 1.

xk + 1 = (6xk + 1)/(2xk + 5)

Carry out the division to get something that you can show is greater than 1. Is that enough of a start?

It is easier if you write it as x_n > 1 instead of x_n - 1 >0.

Suppose x_n > 1 [Show that x_(n+1) > 1]

Mult both sides by 4.
Add 2x to both sides.
Add 1 to both sides.
Divide both sides by the right side quantity (which is > 0, why?)

And you should see x_(n+1) > 1.

Thanks a lot for the help. Its such a simple solution, no wonder i didnt get it

1. What is proof by induction for inequalities?

Proof by induction for inequalities is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves breaking the statement down into smaller cases and proving it for the first case, and then showing that if it holds for one case, it also holds for the next case.

2. Why is proof by induction useful for proving inequalities?

Proof by induction is useful for proving inequalities because it allows us to prove that a statement holds for an infinite number of cases, which can be difficult to do using other methods. It also provides a systematic approach for proving inequalities, making it easier to follow and understand the proof.

3. What are the steps involved in a proof by induction for inequalities?

The steps involved in a proof by induction for inequalities are:
1. Prove the statement for the first case (usually n=1 or n=0)
2. Assume the statement holds for some arbitrary value of n
3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement also holds for n+1
4. Conclude that the statement holds for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

4. Can proof by induction be used for all inequalities?

No, proof by induction can only be used for inequalities that are defined for all natural numbers. It cannot be used for inequalities that involve real numbers or complex numbers.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction for inequalities?

One common mistake to avoid when using proof by induction for inequalities is assuming that the statement holds for all real numbers, rather than just natural numbers. Another mistake is not proving the base case, or not correctly using the induction hypothesis to prove the next case. It is important to carefully follow the steps and make sure the proof holds for all natural numbers, not just a specific value.