Graphing a Polar Function: Solving for r = 2cosθ

In summary, the conversation is about graphing a polar function and finding the full circle using parametric equations and symmetry.
physicsnewb7

Homework Statement

graph the polar function r=2cos[tex]\theta[/tex] (-[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]/2) sorry that last theta/2 should be pi/2. new to this math text

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the positive part right, I think. it seems to trace a half circle. I get confused when it comes to the negative radians. what would this trace out in full. Excuse me but its been a while since trig.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should get a full circle of unit radius, centered at (1,0). The easiest way to see that [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] traces out the entire circle is to find parametric equations for [itex]x-1[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and use the double angle identities. You should find that [itex]x-1=\cos(2\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=\sin(2\theta)[/itex] and so as theta moves through pi radians, (x-1) and y both move through a full period, tracing out the entire circle.

I think an even easier way once you find part of the graph is use symmetry. If you can replace theta by negative theta then there is symmetry with respect to the polar axis and the circle is completed.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction.

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, points are represented by their distance from two perpendicular axes, the x-axis and the y-axis. In polar coordinates, points are represented by their distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction.

3. How do you graph polar coordinates?

To graph polar coordinates, plot the distance from the origin on the radial axis and the angle on the angular axis. Then, connect the points to create a curve.

4. What is the reference direction in polar coordinates?

The reference direction in polar coordinates is usually the positive x-axis. However, it can also be any other line passing through the origin as long as it is used consistently.

5. Can you convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using the following equations: x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from the reference direction.