How do I fix 100% CPU usage with explore.exe on my Vista computer?

• Thread starter Blue--Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, the problem is that dllhost.exe is using up the CPU and preventing the computer from running smoothly.
Blue--Z
CPU 100% with explore.exe!

After hunting down a solution for days now, I have finally narrowed the problem down using Process Explorer and Process Monitor, Anti-virus softwares and all that jazz. Now I have found a dead-end, and need help.

System:
Vista Home Premium x64 for Pavilion dv5-1137la, bought 3 months ago. 320GB, 4096MB, AMD turion X2 Dual-Core

Problem:
CPU spikes to 100% constantly, keeps around 70-90% all the time, making the computer very slow and overheating it.

Troubleshooting so far:
- Full virus scan with AVG, Spybot S&D and Windows Defender -> found nothing
- Process Explorer shows the culprit as explore.exe, which uses most of the CPU
-> opening the process shows that all CPU is used by a thread "SHLWAPI.dll!PathIsRootW+0xcc"
-> stacking this thread shows various .dll processes such as "SHLWAPI.dll!PathIsRootW+0x195" and "DpoFeedb.dll+0x4932
"
-> locating this process takes me to "shlwapi.dll " located under C:\Windows\System32
- Used Process Monitor to detect which program is using up the shlwapi.dll through explore.exe, and found dllhost.exe to be the culprit
- checked that dllhost.exe is not a malware. It is located in C:Windows\system32 as well.

Now what?
I have narrowed down the problem: almost all of the CPU is used by dllhost.exe through shlwapi.dll through explore.exe.
Now what? Knowing this is not really helping. So far I understand dellhost.exe is important for internet through COM Surrogate. But it shouldn't be the case that CPU remains constantly near 100%, when no other software is taking up the CPU.

Can I kill the shlwapi.dll process, and rename/delete the file? Will this affect the performance of my computer? What now?

Thank you for your help!

Computer science news on Phys.org

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have read the thread you gave me before, but unfortunately it wasn't the solution for me. I did what the guy in the thread did, but the problem persisted, and that is exactly because the problem is the dllhost.exe using the shlwapi.exe.

Thanks anyhow. :) Any other suggestions?

1. Why is my CPU at 100% with explore.exe?

The explore.exe process, also known as Windows Explorer, is responsible for managing the file and folder operations on your computer. When it uses up 100% of your CPU, it indicates that the process is using all available resources to complete its tasks. This could be due to a large number of files or folders, a corrupt system file, or a virus/malware infection.

2. Will my computer be damaged if CPU usage stays at 100% with explore.exe?

In most cases, your computer should not be damaged if the CPU usage stays at 100% with explore.exe. However, prolonged high CPU usage can cause your computer to overheat, which may lead to hardware damage. It is important to address the issue and reduce CPU usage to prevent potential damage.

3. How can I reduce CPU usage with explore.exe?

There are a few steps you can take to reduce CPU usage with explore.exe. First, try closing any unnecessary programs or browser tabs to free up resources. You can also run a virus scan to check for any potential infections. Additionally, you can try updating your drivers and performing a disk cleanup to optimize your system's performance.

4. Can a virus or malware cause explore.exe to use 100% of my CPU?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can cause explore.exe to use 100% of your CPU. Some malware disguises itself as explore.exe to avoid detection, so it is important to run a thorough virus scan if you notice high CPU usage with explore.exe. It is also recommended to regularly update your antivirus software and perform regular scans to prevent and detect potential infections.

5. Is there a way to permanently fix CPU usage at 100% with explore.exe?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to permanently fix CPU usage at 100% with explore.exe. However, you can try updating your operating system, running a system file checker, and performing a clean boot to troubleshoot and resolve any underlying issues. You can also consider upgrading your hardware if your system is outdated and struggling to handle the tasks performed by explore.exe.