Exploring Social Networks: Path Length and Degrees of Separation

In summary, the social networks studied in this thread are scale free networks and normally distributed networks.
John Creighto
Since I first leaned of the concept of social networks it has fascinated me but I never really studied the topic. It seems to me a huge topic but is not widely studied compared to other areas of mathematics. What better way to study such things as the spread of information, political views, deseases, etc.

In this thread I guess I would like to see a light discussion of a number of ideas within this field and perhaps some suggestion of interesting sources of information.

Looking at the terms defined in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network#Metrics_.28Measures.29_in_social_network_analysis

I notice only one measure of distance was measured:
Path Length
The distances between pairs of nodes in the network. Average path-length is the average of these distances between all pairs of nodes.

Well, this may in some respects be interested given that it is believed that their are only six degrees of separation between most people in the world the number would seem inadequate for modeling the spread of information, disease, ideas, etc. because well, it may only take six steps to connect two people if the path is chosen at random the probability of concecting these two people within six steps could be very small.

6 degrees of separation implies that there are at least (5x10^9)^(1/6)=41 links between each person. Given most people have over 300 friends on there facebook this doesn't sound entirely unreasonable but the number of links between people depends on the type of link. For instance if we were measuring the spread of an std the average number of sexual partners for a man in a lifetime is 7 which is less then 41.

Also my above calculation assumes a very loosely connected network and in this loosely connected network if we take a path of length six there are still (5x10^6)-1 possible other paths that do not connect these two people. Consequently well the shortest path may be close the probability of selecting this path at random is very small.

Physics news on Phys.org
Random Networks

There appears to be two main random models for the structure in Social Networks. They are scale free networks and normally distributed networks.

However, if we look at communities of interests in a specific topic, discarding the major hubs of the Web, the distribution of links is no longer a power law but resembles more a normal distribution, as observed by Pennock et al. (2002) in the communities of the home pages of universities, public companies, newspapers and scientists. Based on these observations, they propose a generative model that mixes preferential attachment with a baseline probability of gaining a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-free_network

I think they both are are what I'd intuitively expect as a normally distributed network would could arise by assigning each node a random probability of getting a new link, well the scale free network is based on an attractor principle where everyone wants to know someone famous or popular or on smaller scales friends of friends, the more friends you have the more friends you will meat through their friends.

A scale free network can be generated randomly though the
Barabási–Albert model

Well a normally distributed network can be generated by adding the links randomly and choosing some probability to add each new link.

start with graph theory. Learn the basics of graph theory and algorithms on graphs. Perhaps take a graph theory subject, or a discrete maths/combinatorics subject that has lots of graph theory in it.

Then move on to networks, they are special types of graphs as far as I know... Stuff you learn in that area of graph theory can be applied to any situation with a network, including social networks.

1. What is path length in social networks?

Path length in social networks refers to the number of connections or steps it takes to go from one person to another within a network. It is a measure of how closely connected individuals are within a network.

2. What is the concept of degrees of separation?

Degrees of separation is a theory that states that every person in the world can be connected to any other person through a chain of no more than six acquaintances. It is based on the idea that people are more interconnected than we may think, and that everyone is only a few steps away from being connected to anyone else.

3. How is path length related to degrees of separation?

Path length and degrees of separation are closely related because they both measure the distance between individuals within a social network. The degrees of separation between two people is equal to the path length between them plus one. For example, if two people are connected by two steps in a network, their degrees of separation would be three (2 steps + 1).

4. What is the significance of studying path length and degrees of separation?

Studying path length and degrees of separation in social networks can help us understand how people are connected and how information or ideas spread through a network. It can also help us identify key individuals or groups that play a significant role in bridging different parts of a network.

5. How can path length and degrees of separation be calculated or measured?

Path length and degrees of separation can be calculated by mapping out a social network and counting the number of steps it takes to go from one person to another. This can be done manually or with the help of computer programs. There are also mathematical models and algorithms that can be used to measure these metrics in larger networks.