Actual After-Tax Rate of Return. [Engineering Economics]

In summary, the conversation is about solving a 3 part problem related to determining rates of return before and after taxes. The first question asks for the rate of return before taxes, which is determined to be 21%. The second question asks for the approximate after-tax rate of return, which is calculated to be 8% using an effective income tax rate of 42%. The third question asks for the actual after-tax rate of return, but the difference between this and the approximate after-tax rate of return is not clear. The poster is asked to provide more information about the problem and the equations used to reach the answers.
0xCMD
Greetings,

I'm trying to solve a 3 part problem which has the following questions:

a) Determine the rate of return before taxes.
After Solving: Answer: 21 %

b) If the effective income tax rate is 42 percent, what is the approximate after-tax rate of return?
After Solving: Answer: 8 %

c) What is the actual after-tax rate of return?
I don't really understand this question, I can't tell the difference between (approximate after-tax rate of return) and (actual after-tax rate of return)

Does anyone Know the difference?

thanks.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

I'm not sure either. Could you post:

• The full problem statement.
  • The equations you used to get your answers.

Hello there,

As an engineer, I can help clarify the difference between the approximate and actual after-tax rate of return. The approximate after-tax rate of return is an estimated value based on the given information and the effective income tax rate. It may not take into account any additional factors that could affect the final after-tax rate of return.

On the other hand, the actual after-tax rate of return takes into account all relevant factors, such as any deductions or credits, and provides a more accurate representation of the return on investment after taxes. This value may differ from the approximate rate due to these additional factors.

In summary, the approximate after-tax rate of return is an estimate while the actual after-tax rate of return is the precise value after considering all relevant factors. I hope this helps!

What is the "Actual After-Tax Rate of Return"?

The Actual After-Tax Rate of Return is a measure of the profitability of a project or investment after taking into account the effect of taxes. It reflects the actual return received by the investor after taxes are paid.

How is the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return calculated?

The Actual After-Tax Rate of Return is calculated by subtracting the taxes paid on the project or investment from the total after-tax cash flows, and then dividing this value by the initial investment. This rate takes into account both the tax savings and the tax payments associated with a project or investment.

Why is it important to consider the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return?

Considering the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return is important because it provides a more accurate representation of the profitability of a project or investment. By factoring in the impact of taxes, it allows investors to make more informed decisions and compare different investment options on an equal footing.

How does the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return differ from the Before-Tax Rate of Return?

The Before-Tax Rate of Return only takes into account the cash flows before taxes are paid, while the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return considers the effect of taxes on the project or investment. This means that the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return will always be lower than the Before-Tax Rate of Return, as it reflects the actual return received by the investor.

What are some limitations of using the Actual After-Tax Rate of Return?

The Actual After-Tax Rate of Return does not take into account the time value of money, inflation, or other external factors that may impact the profitability of a project or investment. It also assumes a constant tax rate, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the calculation can become more complex for projects with multiple tax rates or tax deductions.