Question about suns and the sky

• Thread starter Garland220
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, the color of the sky on a planet with a red sun and an atmosphere would depend on the amount of blue light scattered in the atmosphere. In a single red sun system, the sky would be blue but darker. In a double star system with a red and blue component, the sky would likely be faintly blue, but the distance to the stars and atmospheric composition would also play a role.
Garland220
Ok, this is kind of a stupid question, but I was curious... If I lived on a planet that had an atmosphere, but a red sun, what color would the sky be? If I lived on a planet with two suns, one red, and one blue, what color would the sky be? I know some light is absorbed into the atmosphere and that is why it looks blue, but if there is more red light than blue would it look red, or just darker?
Sorry it's kinda dumb, but really, I'm awful curious and can't find the answer.. :)

Thanks! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, it would look blue, just darker. The sky scatters blue light.

Depends on the atmospheric composition. In an Earth atmosphere, a red sun could cause the sky to be very blue - as russ noted. In a double star [blue and red component] system, the effects would be more complicated. A faintly blue sky would be my best guess, depending on the distance to the component stars. It could be a quite spectacular - and lethal combination.

1. Why does the sky appear blue during the day?

The sky appears blue during the day because of a phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering. This is when sunlight enters Earth's atmosphere and collides with molecules in the air, causing the blue wavelengths to scatter in all directions, making the sky appear blue.

2. Why do sunsets and sunrises have different colors in the sky?

Sunsets and sunrises have different colors in the sky because of the angle at which sunlight enters the atmosphere. During sunrise and sunset, the sunlight has to travel through more of Earth's atmosphere, resulting in the scattering of more of the blue wavelengths and allowing the longer red and orange wavelengths to reach our eyes, creating those beautiful colors in the sky.

3. Can you see the sun's rays from Earth's surface?

No, we cannot see the sun's rays from Earth's surface. The rays we see in the sky are actually the sunlight being scattered by particles in the atmosphere. If you were to go above Earth's atmosphere, you would not see any visible rays emanating directly from the sun.

4. Does the sun move or is it the Earth that rotates?

The sun appears to move across the sky due to Earth's rotation. The Earth rotates on its axis, making the sun appear to rise in the east and set in the west. In reality, the sun is stationary and it is the Earth's rotation that creates this illusion.

5. Can you see the sun at midnight in the Arctic or Antarctic?

Yes, it is possible to see the sun at midnight in the Arctic or Antarctic regions during their respective summer solstices. This is due to the tilt of Earth's axis, which allows these regions to have 24 hours of sunlight during their summer months.