ODE power series method

In summary: You don't want to replace any m:s, only n:s. So the only things you need to touch are an and tn+2m. You should end up with \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[ (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} + \sum_{m=0}^{n/2} a_{n-2m} \frac{(-1)^m}{(2m+1)!}\right] t^n, where the sum over m goes to m=n/2 for even values of n and to m=(n-1)/2 for odd values of n (and a_(-1) = 0).You
Kak-Hazhar

Homework Statement

using the fact that [tex]\frac{sint}{t}[/tex] = [tex]\sum^{}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{ (-1)[tex]^{n}[/tex] t[tex]^{2n}[/tex]}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

i wanted to write:

using that sint/t = ∑ (-1)ⁿ·t²ⁿ/(2n+1)!

find a power series solution of the equation tx'' +sint x = 0

Homework Equations

sorry i pushed the wrong button,

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a beginner at LaTeX, a disaster at LaTeX

i get something like ∑n(n-1)a_nt^(n-2) +sint∑a_n = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kak-Hazhar said:

Homework Statement

using the fact that [tex]\frac{sint}{t}[/tex] = [tex]\sum^{}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{ (-1)[tex]^{n}[/tex] t[tex]^{2n}[/tex]}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

i wanted to write:

using that sint/t = ∑ (-1)ⁿ·t²ⁿ/(2n+1)!

find a power series solution of the equation tx'' +sint x = 0

Homework Equations

sorry i pushed the wrong button,

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a beginner at LaTeX, a disaster at LaTeX

You only need to use the tex-brackets at the beginning and at the end; don't clutter the formula with them. Also, you should use \sin (or\mathrm{sin}) instead of sin, makes the font right.

[tex]\frac{\sin t}{t} = \sum_{n=0}\frac{ (-1)^{n} t^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

Okay, so how do find a power series solution? You write the DE as a sum over powers of t and then require that the coefficient is zero for all n. That gives you a recursion relation between the coefficients a_n.

Kak-Hazhar said:

You're missing a t and a t^n there. Then write out the series expansion for sint/t and you can find a formal solution of the form

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n t^n = 0 [/tex] where now A_n is something quite complicated, but it contains the recursion relation for the coefficients a_n. I am not sure if you can find an answer in terms of elementary functions; the form of the equation suggests to me that you can't.

clamtrox said:
You're missing a t and a t^n there. Then write out the series expansion for sint/t and you can find a formal solution of the form

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n t^n = 0 [/tex] where now A_n is something quite complicated, but it contains the recursion relation for the coefficients a_n. I am not sure if you can find an answer in terms of elementary functions; the form of the equation suggests to me that you can't.

Well this is how far i get:
Using that

[tex]\frac{\sin t}{t} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n} t^{2n} }{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

for t≠0 i rewrite tx''+sint x =0 as

[tex](\aleph); x'' + \frac{\sin t}{t}x = 0 [/tex]

[tex] Ansats: x(t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}t^{n} [/tex]

then

[tex] x''(t) = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_{n}t^{n-2}[/tex]

pluggin this and the ansats for x(t) into [tex](\aleph) [/tex]

i get

[tex] \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_{n}t^{n-2} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}t^{2n} }{(2n+1)!}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}t^{n} [/tex]

here is where I'm not 100% sure.

i multiply the last two series getting

[tex] \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_{n}t^{n-2} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}t^{2n+1} }{(2n+1)!}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n} [/tex]

which is equivalent to

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_{n}t^{n-2} + \sin t\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}[/tex]

now what's next?

You cannot use the same indices with the two sums. Use for example m and n. What you should have then is something proportional to [tex] t^{2m+n} [/tex]. Now you need to rescale the sums so that you will have something of the form [tex] \sum A_n t^n [/tex] where then A_n will be zero for all n. So for example for the first sum you'd write
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} t^{n} [/tex].

clamtrox said:
..you should have then is something proportional to [tex] t^{2m+n} [/tex]. Now you need to rescale the sums so that you will have something of the form [tex] \sum A_n t^n [/tex] where then A_n will be zero for all n. So for example for the first sum you'd write
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} t^{n} [/tex].

[tex]
\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_{n}t^{n-2} + \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{m}t^{2m} }{(2m+1)!}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}t^{n}
[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex]

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}t^{n} + \sum_{^{m=0}_{n=0}}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{m}t^{2m+n} }{(2m+1)!}a_{n} [/tex]

i know how to shift series and add them but now what?

sincerely

You shift the term on the right as well. Just notice when you do it: then you only sum over a finite number of m:s for each n.

clamtrox said:
You shift the term on the right as well. Just notice when you do it: then you only sum over a finite number of m:s for each n.

what's the substitution in the second series?

give me a hint

Since you want to have t^n there, you have to do n+2m -> n. Then a_n -> a_(n-2m), and the summation over m will be cut off by the fact that a_(-1) = 0. That's all there is to it.

clamtrox said:
Since you want to have t^n there, you have to do n+2m -> n. Then a_n -> a_(n-2m), and the summation over m will be cut off by the fact that a_(-1) = 0. That's all there is to it.

yes that is exactly what i tried but got confused.

i used 2m+n = k then m = 1/2·(k-n) and (2m+1)! --> (k+1-n)! and [tex]a_{n} \rightarrow a_{k-2m}[/tex]

Last edited:
You don't want to replace any m:s, only n:s. So the only things you need to touch are an and tn+2m. You should end up with

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[ (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} + \sum_{m=0}^{n/2} a_{n-2m} \frac{(-1)^m}{(2m+1)!}\right] t^n, [/tex]

where the sum over m goes to m=n/2 for even values of n and to m=(n-1)/2 for odd values.

clamtrox said:
You don't want to replace any m:s, only n:s. So the only things you need to touch are an and tn+2m. You should end up with

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[ (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} + \sum_{m=0}^{n/2} a_{n-2m} \frac{(-1)^m}{(2m+1)!}\right] t^n, [/tex]

where the sum over m goes to m=n/2 for even values of n and to m=(n-1)/2 for odd values.

Danke Clamtrox

What is the ODE power series method?

The ODE power series method is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by representing the solution as a power series. This method is particularly useful for solving nonlinear ODEs, as it allows for an exact solution to be obtained through a series of mathematical operations.

How does the ODE power series method work?

The ODE power series method works by substituting the power series representation of the solution into the ODE and equating coefficients of the same power. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the coefficients of the power series, which in turn gives the solution to the ODE.

What are the advantages of using the ODE power series method?

The ODE power series method has several advantages, including its ability to handle nonlinear ODEs and provide an exact solution. It also allows for the solution to be expressed as a series, making it easier to approximate the solution to a desired accuracy.

What are the limitations of the ODE power series method?

The ODE power series method is limited in its applicability, as it can only be used for certain types of ODEs. It also requires a significant amount of algebraic manipulation and can become computationally intensive for higher order equations.

Can the ODE power series method be applied to systems of ODEs?

Yes, the ODE power series method can be extended to solve systems of ODEs by representing the solution as a vector of power series. This allows for the simultaneous solution of multiple equations in the system, making it a powerful tool in the study of dynamical systems.