Achromat lens - magnifying LCD

In summary, the post-doc suggested using an achromat lens to magnify the image taken by the camera, but the lens may not be as effective as expected. The camera does have an AV out, but there is no space to put an LCD monitor. The post-doc is looking for a 3X magnification.
bemaitea
Hello all!

Again I am a lost molecular biologist in the realm of physics, but this question shouldn't be so difficult!

We are using an Olympus microscope to take pictures of our live cultures here in the lab and we have a real REAL old nikon attached to it to take pictures. I want to be able to magnify this thing so we have a nice view finder to proof our shots.

Another post-doc, who is a mechanical engineer, suggested using an achromat lens for a quick and effective fix. He's gone to a conference for the next week so I'm left with no guidance!

I've done a rough sketch of what the situation is...

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6290/achromat.png

I'm going to be picking up the lens from http://www.surplusshed.com/.

I have no idea at all which lens would be best. From what physicis I DO remember, in order for magnification to occur I'll need the object inside the focal length of the lens, yeah? I know that should work for a convex lens, but I have no idea the physics of an achromat lens...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to just magnify the LCD screen on the camera to view the image you took?

That probably isn't going to help, the LCD only has a limited number of pixels, magnifying it just shows you bigger pixels (whatever you see on CSI).
If it's a matter of being able to see the display - does the camera have a video out? Most digital cameras, even small compacts have a headphone type socket somehwere that you can plug into a TV/monitor to show the pictures

Hi mgb!

Thank you for the quick response.

The camera does have an AV out, but we have no space on the wall (shelves) or the bench to put an LCD monitor, otherwise this would have been the ideal option.

We can see the display well enough, but when you are looking at 293T cells, it's a pain to look at them in the small screen. We thought that magnifiying the screen would make it easier to identify certain cells, since what the camera captures is not exactly what is being seeing through the microscope.

If the achromat lens can at least enlarge the LCD by 50% then that would be worth it. But only if the magnification doesn't come at the cost of resolution...

Ideally I'm looking for a 3X magnification (similar to what we'd see in an small LCD monitor).

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again! :)

You are going to have difficulties magnifying a screen that large without distortion, in which case you might as well just use something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WUY8CY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But the LCD is probably only 640*480, nothing like the full resolution of the camera. So you aren't gaining much by magnifying it

Is the Nikon an SLR? If so, I'd consider replacing the Nikon with a digital SLR. You wouldn't need a fancy one, and some of the basic models are around $500-$700. You will want real-time video out, so make sure that's a priority.

However, there may be a much cheaper approach...

Gather the make/model of your microscope and call http://www.bhphotovideo.com/". They've been in the mail-order business for rock-bottom prices on professional equipment for decades, and their staff is very knowledgeable.

The staff can be a little short sometimes, though, so line your ducks up with the capabilities you want before you call them.

Good luck!

1. What is an Achromat lens?

An Achromat lens is a type of lens that is designed to correct for chromatic aberration, which is a type of distortion that occurs in lenses that causes colors to appear fringed or blurred.

2. How does an Achromat lens work?

An Achromat lens uses a combination of two different types of glass with different optical properties to correct for chromatic aberration. The two types of glass are fused together, with the outer layer having a higher refractive index and the inner layer having a lower refractive index.

3. What is the purpose of magnifying an LCD with an Achromat lens?

The purpose of magnifying an LCD with an Achromat lens is to improve the clarity and sharpness of the image displayed on the LCD screen. The Achromat lens corrects for chromatic aberration and other distortions, resulting in a more accurate and precise image.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Achromat lens to magnify an LCD?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an Achromat lens to magnify an LCD. One limitation is that the size of the LCD screen will determine the maximum magnification that can be achieved. Another limitation is that the quality of the LCD screen itself can affect the overall image quality.

5. How do I choose the right Achromat lens for my needs?

Choosing the right Achromat lens will depend on factors such as the size of the LCD screen, the desired level of magnification, and the quality of the LCD screen. It is best to consult with a knowledgeable professional who can help you select the best Achromat lens for your specific needs.