Thrust,drag and lift on airplane Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the atmospheric drag and wing lift of an airplane based on its engine thrust and weight. The question also asks for the distance to the line of action of the drag force. The attempt at a solution involves using the concept of static equilibrium and taking moments to solve for the unknown variables.
ikrom52

Homework Statement

If the engine thrust is F(T)=130kN and the plane's weight is W=180kN,determine the atmospheric drag F(D) and the wing lift F(L).
What is the distance s to the line of action of the drag force?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have trouble with this question because I don't know where to start.In my statics book there is nothing on airplanes or about drag,thrust and lift.

I was thinking like the resultant force = F(T)- F(D)

I don't know the relationship between the drag,thrust and lift and couldn't find anything in my statics book.
So any hint or advice how to start it would be greatly appreciated or is there any equation I need to use.
Thanks.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1364/11212009113824am.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
its flying at constant velocity... so all accelerations must be zero, ie. static equilibrium...

so then the drag is 130 and the lift is 180
and to determine s I can take moments at point where W is pointing
is this right?

1. What is thrust, drag, and lift on an airplane?

Thrust, drag, and lift are the three main forces that act on an airplane during flight. Thrust is the force that propels the airplane forward, drag is the resistance force that acts in the opposite direction of thrust, and lift is the upward force that allows the airplane to stay in the air.

2. How does an airplane generate thrust?

An airplane generates thrust through its engines, which propel the aircraft forward by pushing air backwards. The amount of thrust produced depends on the type of engine and the amount of power it generates.

3. What causes drag on an airplane?

Drag is caused by the resistance of the air as the airplane moves through it. This resistance is due to the shape of the airplane's body and wings, as well as other external factors such as air density and speed.

4. What is the role of lift in airplane flight?

Lift is essential for keeping an airplane in the air. It is generated by the shape of the wings and the air flowing over them. As the airplane moves through the air, the shape of its wings creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom surfaces, which results in an upward force that counteracts the force of gravity.

5. How do thrust, drag, and lift affect an airplane's performance?

Thrust, drag, and lift all play a crucial role in an airplane's performance. The balance between these forces determines the speed, altitude, and maneuverability of the airplane. To achieve optimal performance, the pilot must carefully manage these forces through various control mechanisms such as the engine power, flaps, and elevators.