Advance Calculating Internal Concentrations of Ions

In summary, the task at hand is to determine the permeabilities (alpha and beta) of ions (PNa/PK and PCl/PK) as well as the internal concentrations of Na+, K+ and Cl- based on known membrane voltages and external concentrations. The equations used for this calculation are Ki = {(A2 + 4Co2)1/2 + A}/2, ψ = (kT/q) ln (Co/Ki), and the GHK equation. The process involved manipulating various equations and utilizing curve fitting techniques. The final step is to calculate PK, PNa, and PCl in order to find the permeabilities alpha and beta.
af86

Homework Statement

Have to determine permeabilities [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] (PNa/PK and PCl/PK)

as well as internal concentrations of Na+, K+ and Cl-

I have calculated different membrane voltages according to the external concentration (when altering one ion, the other two were set to zero).

Homework Equations

Ki = {(A2 + 4Co2)1/2 + A}/2

ψ = (kT/q) ln (Co/Ki)

and GHK equation:
VR = kT/qln {Ko*+*αNao*+*βCli/Ki+*αNai*+*βClo}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble calculating the internal concentrations for K, Cl and Na. I have the membrane voltages and the concentrations between 0mM and 300mM in 5mM increments.

I think once I am able to calculate that, I might be able to figure out the rest.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
af86,
me again. What can you control--as I understand it the voltages for any set of external concentrations are known, unknown are the permeabilities and internal concentrations?

I can control external concentration of Na, Cl and K. Which then produces/outputs a membrane voltage.

How did you determine alpha and beta?

I haven't...that's another part of the question I'm stuck on

Then basically you have 6 unknowns and an unlimited number of combinations/voltages. It can be done purely algebraically, but ugh. Much better if you have MATLAB and can set it up to to either try to solve the inverse matrix of the simultaneous equations (you'd need to input 5 eqns and results, or better yet to try a best fit using a bigger data set.

Let me show you how you can go about doing it for 4 unkwowns assume Chloride permeability is zero.

So, let's start with a small amt of K, say 5 mM, and Na=0

GHK can be written as

10^(Em/58)= 5/(ki+A*Nai)

Then we set Ko = 0, and Na = 5 then 10^Em/58=(5*A)/(k1+A*Nai)

Then maybe something like Na and K=5 then 10^Em/58 = (5+5*A)/(k1+A*Nai)

By manipulating the various eqns, you can eventually tease out A, Nai and Ki.

Naturaly it is worse for the 3 ion case. You just need to add more combos and do a lot more algebra. 58 is for 20 C if, your experiment is at 37, then the RT/FZ= 61.5

Like I said this is where a good curve fitting routine would be the best approach IMO.

Denverdoc,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - unfortunately I do not have MATLAB and don't know how to use it, any other suggestions - I don't mind if its time consuming to calculate it...a nice easy procedure would be great - I'm still really stuck on this.

Thanks

Hi again,

So I have managed to figure out the internal concentrations of each external concentration. Do I then take the average? Or do I just choose a set external concentration (e.g. 100mM) for all ions?

Also, from here, how can I calculate PK, PNa and PCl? Which will then allow me to find the permeabilities, alpha and beta. Actually, I have assumed that PK is one for this question. So it is just PNa and PCl I need help in finding.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of calculating internal concentrations of ions?

The purpose of calculating internal concentrations of ions is to understand the distribution of ions within a system or solution. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as biochemistry and environmental science, as it can provide insight into the chemical reactions and processes occurring within a system.

2. How do you calculate internal concentrations of ions?

The internal concentration of an ion can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the equilibrium potential, temperature, and concentration gradient of the ion. Other methods, such as ion-specific electrodes and spectroscopy, can also be used to measure internal concentrations of ions.

3. What factors can affect the internal concentrations of ions?

Several factors can affect the internal concentrations of ions, including temperature, pressure, pH, and the presence of other ions or molecules. Changes in these factors can alter the equilibrium state of ions, leading to changes in their concentration distribution within a system.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate internal concentrations of ions?

Accurate calculation of internal concentrations of ions is crucial for understanding the behavior of a system. It can help predict chemical reactions, determine the efficiency of a process, and identify potential issues or imbalances within a system. In biological systems, accurate calculation of internal concentrations of ions is essential for maintaining proper cellular function and homeostasis.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating internal concentrations of ions?

Calculating internal concentrations of ions has many practical applications. In environmental science, it can be used to monitor water quality and assess the impact of pollutants. In biochemistry, it can aid in understanding enzyme kinetics and cellular metabolism. In industrial processes, it can help optimize reaction conditions and improve product yield. Additionally, calculating internal concentrations of ions is essential in medical diagnostics and treatment, such as monitoring electrolyte levels in patients.