Problem 6.2 in Peskin's QFT book

• Thread starter kprkpr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary, the speaker is self-studying quantum field theory and is currently stuck on Problem 6.2 in Peskin's book. They are specifically having trouble with part (e) and cannot get the factor (1+(1-x)2)/x in the cross section. They mention that they may have made mistakes in earlier parts and provide the results they have obtained in parts (b) and (c). They express a desire for help and thank the reader in advance.
kprkpr

Homework Statement

In fact this is not homework, I'm self-studying QFT by reading Peskin's book, and I'm stuck with Problem 6.2.

Homework Equations

In part (e), I cannot get the factor (1+(1-x)2)/x in the cross section.

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe I'd already been wrong in earlier parts, the result I got in part (b) is C~D~[tex]\sqrt{EE'}\theta[/tex],
and the probability I got in part (c) is ~ [tex]\frac{1}{EE'\theta^2}[/tex]

Generally I just do every problem on this book, but now I'm stuck and can't move on, please please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you posted the original problem and what you've done on it so far.

1. What is the significance of Problem 6.2 in Peskin's QFT book?

Problem 6.2 in Peskin's QFT book is significant because it introduces the concept of renormalization, which is a crucial tool in perturbative quantum field theory. It also demonstrates the importance of divergences in quantum field theory calculations.

2. What does Problem 6.2 involve?

Problem 6.2 involves calculating the contribution of a self-interacting scalar field theory to the electron's anomalous magnetic moment. This involves evaluating Feynman diagrams and implementing renormalization techniques.

3. Why is the electron's anomalous magnetic moment important in quantum field theory?

The electron's anomalous magnetic moment plays a significant role in quantum field theory as it is a measurable quantity that can be compared to experimental results. It also serves as a test of the accuracy of perturbative calculations and the effectiveness of renormalization techniques.

4. How does Problem 6.2 relate to the renormalization group?

Problem 6.2 provides a clear example of the renormalization group in action. By calculating the contribution of a self-interacting scalar field to the electron's anomalous magnetic moment at different energy scales, we can see how the coupling constant changes and how this affects the value of the magnetic moment.

5. What are some potential challenges in solving Problem 6.2?

Solving Problem 6.2 can be challenging due to the complexity of the calculations involved and the need for careful application of renormalization techniques. Additionally, the presence of divergences in the calculations can lead to difficulties in obtaining finite and physically meaningful results.