BCS Theory Disproven - Credible Source Physicsweb or Scientific American

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the BCS theory has been questioned in its ability to explain superconductivity in high-temperature materials, but it still holds true for conventional superconductors and is being extended to other forms of condensation. The recent discovery of Fermionic condensation also shows a smooth crossover between the regimes of BEC and BCS. Therefore, it would be inaccurate to say that BCS has been disproven.
Mk
BCS theory has been disproven, though still people use it to explain things,that's all. No, I don't remember where I read it. It was a credible source though, physicsweb.org, or scientific american...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is BCS again?

Mk said:
BCS theory has been disproven, though still people use it to explain things,that's all. No, I don't remember where I read it. It was a credible source though, physicsweb.org, or scientific american...

Maybe you are referring to the difficulty in explaining superconductivity in high-temperature superconductors by the BCS theory. However, this does not mean that BCS does not explain superconductivity in simple materials.

salsero said:
Maybe you are referring to the difficulty in explaining superconductivity in high-temperature superconductors by the BCS theory. However, this does not mean that BCS does not explain superconductivity in simple materials.

No, it was something else. I don't remember.

Mk said:
No, it was something else. I don't remember.

Well then, this is all useless since you are simply throwing things out without justification, the same way you somehow got the idea that "phonons" must accompany any pair anhillation.

Go study what exactly is the BCS theory, and then look at why it is STILL being used in conventional superconductors, and why extension to it is still valid for LHe condensation. In fact, the recent discovery of the Fermionic condensation shows that there is a smooth crossover between the regimes of BEC and BCS. So it would be hilarious to say that BCS has been "disproven".

Zz.

1. Is the BCS Theory still considered a valid explanation for superconductivity?

No, the BCS Theory has been disproven by multiple experiments and is no longer considered a valid explanation for superconductivity.

2. How was the BCS Theory disproven?

The BCS Theory was disproven through a series of experiments in the 1980s and 1990s that showed superconductivity can occur in materials that do not follow the assumptions of the BCS Theory. Additionally, advancements in technology allowed for more precise measurements, which also contradicted the predictions of the BCS Theory.

3. What is the current understanding of superconductivity?

The current understanding of superconductivity is based on the theory of electron-phonon interactions proposed by Alexei Abrikosov, Lev Landau, and Vitaly Ginzburg. This theory explains superconductivity as a result of the interaction between electrons and the vibrations of the crystal lattice in a material.

4. Why was the BCS Theory widely accepted if it has been disproven?

The BCS Theory was widely accepted because it provided a clear explanation for superconductivity and successfully predicted the behavior of many superconducting materials. It was also supported by mathematical calculations and experiments at the time. However, as technology and experimental techniques advanced, the limitations of the theory became apparent.

5. What does the disproval of the BCS Theory mean for the field of superconductivity?

The disproval of the BCS Theory has led to a shift in the focus of research towards understanding the true mechanisms of superconductivity. It has also opened up the possibility of discovering new types of superconductors that do not follow the assumptions of the BCS Theory. This has led to exciting developments in the field, such as the discovery of high-temperature superconductors.