Electromagnetism Current Curcuits

In summary, when R3 is increased to infinity, the current in resistors R2 and R3 becomes 0, the current in resistor R1 remains the same, and the current in resistor R4 increases to the original current in the battery.
JJBrian
Four resistors are connected to a battery as shown in the figure. The current in the battery is I, the battery emf is emf, and the resistor values are R1 = R, R2 = 2R, R3 = 4R, and R4 = 3R.

Picture:
http://www.webassign.net/serpop/p21-32.gif

(a) Rank the resistors according to the potential difference across them, from largest to smallest. (Use the form R1 for R1.)
R2<R1<R3<R4 (Correct)

(b) Determine the potential difference across each resistor in terms of emf. (Use E for emf, as necessary.)
ΔV1 = E/3 Answer is correct.
ΔV2 = 2E9 Answer is correct.
ΔV3 = 4E/9 Answer is correct.
ΔV4 = 2E/3 Answer is correct.

(c) Rank the resistors according to the current in them, from largest to smallest. Note any cases of equal currents.
I1 > I4 > I2 = I3 Answer is correct.

(d) Determine the current in each resistor in terms of I. (Use I, as necessary.)
I1 = I. Your answer is correct.
I2 = I/3. Your answer is correct.
I3 = I/3 Your answer is correct.
I4 = 2I/3 Your answer is correct.

(e) If R3 is increased, what happens to the current in each of the resistors?

I4 increases and I1, I2, and I3 decrease. Your answer is correct.

(f) In the limit that R3 → infinity, what are the new values of the current in each resistor in terms of I, the original current in the battery? (Use I, as necessary.)
I1 = I Your answer is incorrect.
I2 = 0. Your answer is correct.
I3 = 0. Your answer is correct.
I4 = I. Your answer is incorrect.

I would like some help on part (f).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct .

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses both electricity and magnetism, as they are two aspects of the same force.

2. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charges, typically carried by electrons, through a conductive material. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is essential for powering electrical devices.

3. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by passing an electric current through a coiled wire, creating a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased by adding more coils or increasing the current flow.

4. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which an electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, conductive wires, and a load (such as a light bulb) that converts the electrical energy into other forms of energy.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electric current. AC current periodically changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction. AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is used for smaller electronic devices.