How Is Tension Direction Calculated in a Non-Symmetrically Loaded Fence Wire?

In summary, during a storm, a tree limb broke off and rested across a barbed wire fence, exerting a downward force of 164 N on the wire. The left section of the wire sustained a tension of 447 N at an angle of 12° relative to the horizontal. Using the x- and y- components of the forces, it was determined that the right section of the wire sustained a tension of 440 N at an angle of 6.92° relative to the horizontal.
ny_aish
During a storm, a tree limb breaks off and comes to rest across a barbed wire fence at a point that is not in the middle between two fence posts. The limb exerts a downward force of 164 N on the wire. The left section of the wire makes an angle of 12° relative to the horizontal and sustains a tension of 447 N. Find the magnitude and direction of the tension that the right section of the wire sustains.
I got the tension in the rope which is 440N, I am having trouble finding the Direction.

° (counterclockwise from x-axis) ?

I tried 1/cos of 164/440...its wrong

]

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you get 440 N?
you _should_ keep vertical Forces and horizontal Forces separate .

i will look thru my notes and see how i came to it.

this is how i got the 440N: we break the tensions into x- & y- components

So x- direction...-447N*cos(12) + T2*cos(θ2) = 0...So T2*cos(θ2) = 437.2 [eqn 1]
and in the y- direction 447*sin(12) + T2*sin(θ2) - 146 = 0..
so T2*sin(θ2) = 146 - 447*sin(12) = 53.1 [eqn 2]

Now divide eqn 2 by eqn 1 giving sin(θ2)/cos(θ2) = 53.1/437.1

or tan(θ2) = 0.1214...so θ2 = arctan(0.1214) = 6.92o

Now plug back into eqn 1 to get T2...T2 = 437.1/cos(6.92) = 440N

1. What is tension and direction?

Tension and direction refer to the force and orientation of an object or system. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate tension and direction?

To calculate tension and direction, you need to use Newton's laws of motion and vector algebra. First, determine all the forces acting on the object or system. Then, use vector addition to find the net force, which will give you the magnitude and direction of the tension.

3. What factors affect tension and direction?

The factors that affect tension and direction include the mass of the object, the angle and direction of the applied force, and the coefficient of friction. Other external factors such as air resistance and surface roughness can also impact tension and direction.

4. How does tension and direction affect motion?

Tension and direction play a crucial role in determining the motion of an object. The magnitude and direction of the tension will determine the acceleration of the object, according to Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). Additionally, the direction of the tension can also determine the path of the object's motion.

5. Can tension and direction be negative?

Yes, tension and direction can be negative. Negative tension indicates that the object is being pulled in the opposite direction of the applied force. Similarly, negative direction indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force.