What is the force exerted by the locomotive on the first car?

In summary, a train consisting of two cars pulled by a locomotive experiences an acceleration of 0.33m/s^2 [fwd]. Each car has a mass of 3.1 * 10^4 KG and friction is negligible. Using Newton's second law, the force exerted by the first car on the second car is 1.0 * 10^4 N. Applying Newton's third law, the force exerted by the locomotive on the first car is 2.0 * 10^4 N [fwd].
Ballox

Homework Statement

A train consisting of two cars pulled by a locomotive experiences an acceleration of 0.33m/s^2 [fwd]. Friction is negligible. Each car has a mass of 3.1 * 10^4 KG.

a. ) Determine the force exerted by the first car on the second car.
b. ) Determine the force exerted by the locomotive on the first car.

Homework Equations

Applying Newtons third law of motion which states:

for every action force, there is a simultaneous force equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD of the situation and solved for part a) by simply applying Newtons second law equation [ F= mA ]

I solved for F and got 1.0 * 10^4 N.

However I have trouble solving for part b.)
The answer is supposed to be 2.0 * 10^4 N, but I can't get it.

Would appreciate any help/advice!
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your answer for part a) is the force of the first car pulling on the second, now you can apply Newton's third law.

Never mind. I've figured out the solution. The force of the locomotive on the first car involves the masses of the 1st and 2nd cars. Therefore I add the two masses together to get the total mass however I keep acceleration the same...

Using Newton's second law equation I determine the force.

F = mA
F = (62000)(0.33)
Therefore F = 2.0 * 10^4 N [fwd]

Last edited:
Ok. Since car 1 pulls car 2 with such a force you got in part a), car 2 must pull car 1 with an equal and oppose force according to Newton's third law. From there you can calculate the force exerted on car one by the locomotive. Maybe drawing a free body diagram would help.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does Newton's third law of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's third law of motion can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you walk, your feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal force, allowing you to move forward. Another example is when you sit in a chair, your weight pushes down on the chair, and the chair pushes back up with an equal force, keeping you from falling through.

Can Newton's third law of motion be violated?

No, Newton's third law of motion is a fundamental law of physics, and it cannot be violated. This law is based on the conservation of momentum, which is a fundamental principle in physics.

What is the difference between action and reaction in Newton's third law of motion?

In Newton's third law of motion, action refers to the force exerted by one object on another object. The reaction is the equal and opposite force exerted by the second object back on the first object. The action and reaction forces always occur in pairs and act on different objects.

How does Newton's third law of motion affect the motion of objects?

Newton's third law of motion plays a crucial role in the motion of objects. It ensures that forces always occur in pairs, which allows for balanced motion. This means that if an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert a force back, causing both objects to move. It also explains why objects remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.