Wave Optics - Size of Illuminated spot on a screen

In summary, to estimate the size of the illuminated spot on the screen, we can use the thin lens equation and solve for v. The distance at which the screen should be placed to get the best possible image is equal to the distance from the lens to the object, and at this distance, the spot size on the screen will be approximately 0.2mm.
Keano16

Homework Statement

A convex lens has a radius of 20mm and a focal length of 100mm. A point source of light is placed 500mm behind the lens and a screen is placed 120mm in front of it. Calculate (to first order) the size of the illuminated spot on the screen. Now calculate the distance at which the screen should be placed to get the best possible image, and estimate the spot size in this case.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can picture what is physically going on in this situation, and I think that the reason as to why this is occurring is aberration due to the lens.

I'm not sure how I am meant to estimate the size of the spot though -- in what terms etc.

Would love any pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I can help you with your question. To estimate the size of the illuminated spot on the screen, we can use the thin lens equation:

1/f = 1/v + 1/u

where f is the focal length, v is the distance from the lens to the image, and u is the distance from the lens to the object. In this case, we have f = 100mm, u = 500mm, and v = 120mm. Solving for v, we get v = 109.09mm. This means that the image of the point source will be 109.09mm away from the lens, and the size of the spot on the screen will be approximately 109.09mm/500mm = 0.218mm.

To find the distance at which the screen should be placed to get the best possible image, we can use the formula for magnification:

M = -v/u

where M is the magnification, v is the distance from the lens to the image, and u is the distance from the lens to the object. In this case, we want the magnification to be as close to 1 as possible, so we want v to be equal to u. This means that the screen should be placed at a distance of 500mm from the lens to get the best possible image. At this distance, the spot size on the screen will be approximately 0.2mm.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck with your research!

1. What is wave optics?

Wave optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light as a wave, rather than a particle. It deals with the interactions of light with different materials and how it propagates through space.

2. How is the size of an illuminated spot on a screen determined in wave optics?

The size of an illuminated spot on a screen is determined by the diffraction of light as it passes through a small aperture or a slit. This phenomenon causes the light to spread out and produce a blurry spot on the screen.

3. What factors affect the size of the illuminated spot in wave optics?

The size of the illuminated spot on a screen is affected by the wavelength of the light, the size of the aperture or slit, and the distance between the aperture and the screen. Additionally, the shape and quality of the wavefront can also play a role.

4. Can the size of the illuminated spot be controlled in wave optics?

Yes, the size of the illuminated spot can be controlled by adjusting the factors that affect it. For example, changing the wavelength of the light, using a smaller aperture or slit, or increasing the distance between the aperture and the screen can all result in a smaller illuminated spot.

5. Why is the size of the illuminated spot important in wave optics?

The size of the illuminated spot is important in wave optics because it affects the resolution and clarity of an image. A larger illuminated spot can result in a blurrier image, while a smaller spot can produce a sharper image. This is especially important in applications such as microscopy and photography.