Finding Final Velocity in a Spring Loaded Collision

In summary, the problem involves a spring loaded collision between two carts, one with a mass of 3.2 kg and an initial velocity of 2.1 m/s and the other with a mass of 4.3 kg and initially at rest. The collision is completely elastic and the wheels are treated as massless and frictionless. The velocity of the first cart after the collision is found in a coordinate system where the center of mass of the two carts is not moving. To solve for this, the equation p = mv is used, along with the fact that the total momentum before and after the collision is equal. By solving for the velocity of the center of mass, which is found to be 0.896 m/s,
pleasehelpme6
Spring Loaded Collision, help!

[PLAIN]https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/summer/homework/Ch-09-10/IE_spring_loaded_collision/springloadedcollision.gif

Homework Statement

A cart with mass m1 = 3.2 kg and initial velocity of v1,i = 2.1 m/s collides with another cart of mass M2 = 4.3 kg which is initially at rest in the lab frame. The collision is completely elastic, and the wheels on the carts can be treated as massless and frictionless. What is the velocity of m1 after the collision in a coordinate system where the center of mass of the two carts is not moving (the "center of mass frame") ?

Homework Equations

p = mv
m1v1 = m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

i used m1 = 3.2
m2 = 3.2+4.3
v1 = 2.1
v2 = v

so i had, (3.2)(2.1) = (3.2+4.3)v
when i solved for v i got 0.896, but this isn't right, so i don't know what its asking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

i guess what i need to know is how to find the velocity of the center of mass

nevermind, i solved it.

velocity of center of mass was the value i got before (0.896). to solve for the final velocity of m1, i had to do vi - vcm (2.1 - 0.896).

Thanks anyway!

What is a spring-loaded collision?

A spring-loaded collision is a type of collision between two objects where one or both objects are attached to a spring. When the objects collide, the spring compresses and stores potential energy, which is then released as kinetic energy.

How does a spring-loaded collision differ from other types of collisions?

A spring-loaded collision differs from other types of collisions in that it involves the transfer of energy between the objects through the spring. In other types of collisions, the energy is transferred directly between the objects.

What factors affect the outcome of a spring-loaded collision?

The outcome of a spring-loaded collision is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle of collision between the objects.

Can the energy lost in a spring-loaded collision be calculated?

Yes, the energy lost in a spring-loaded collision can be calculated using the equations for elastic potential energy and kinetic energy. This can be useful in understanding the efficiency of the collision and the impact on the objects involved.

What are some real-world applications of spring-loaded collisions?

Spring-loaded collisions are commonly used in engineering and design, such as in car bumpers and shock absorbers. They are also used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and pogo sticks, to absorb and transfer energy. Additionally, spring-loaded collisions are used in scientific experiments to study the laws of motion and energy conservation.