Chemistry of alternative life forms

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of other life forms evolving on different planets and the potential for them to use different gases besides oxygen for energy generation. The conversation also brings up the idea of silicon-based life forms and the fact that oxygen is not necessarily needed for life. However, it is noted that this is all speculation and may be more suited for a forum where speculation is allowed.
Moogie
Hi

I'm just wondering how other life forms on different planets might be able to evolve. Some of my thoughts:

1) other life forms don't necessarily need oxygen do they? On this planet we use oxygen to generate energy through combustion. Other life forms could generate energy by
i) combustion in another gas e.g. fluorine?
ii) something different to combustion altogether though I'm not sure what. I can't remember enough about things like electron transport chains to know if they need oxygen

2) could simple life forms exist that weren't carbon carbon based? Silanes can form polymers up to 10 units long if i remember correctly. Could you have silicon based life?

Any thoughts welcomed

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is all pure speculation, so you better look for some forum where speculation is allowed - it is not at PF.

Oxygen is not needed for life. Before photosynthesizing microorganisms modified our atmosphere composition there was no oxygen in the air, yet earlier microorganisms thrived.

ok sorry. did not know that

1. What is the chemistry behind alternative life forms?

The chemistry of alternative life forms is still largely unknown and is an area of ongoing research. However, it is believed that these life forms may have different chemical compositions and use alternative molecules for life processes, such as silicon-based compounds instead of carbon-based ones.

2. How do alternative life forms obtain energy?

Alternative life forms may obtain energy through different processes than traditional life forms. For example, they may use different sources of energy, such as heat or radiation, and may have different methods of converting this energy into usable forms.

3. Can alternative life forms survive in our environment?

It is possible that alternative life forms may be able to survive in our environment, but this is difficult to determine without more research. Some scientists believe that these life forms may have evolved to thrive in extreme environments, such as high temperatures or acidic conditions, which may make them better suited to survive in our environment.

4. How would the discovery of alternative life forms impact our understanding of chemistry?

The discovery of alternative life forms would greatly impact our understanding of chemistry. It would challenge our current understanding of the fundamental building blocks of life and require us to rethink the possibilities of what constitutes life. It may also lead to new discoveries and advancements in chemistry as we try to understand the unique chemical processes of these alternative life forms.

5. Are there any potential implications for the search for extraterrestrial life?

The discovery of alternative life forms would have significant implications for the search for extraterrestrial life. It would broaden our understanding of the conditions under which life can exist and could potentially increase the chances of finding life on other planets that may have environments more suitable for alternative life forms. It may also require us to expand our methods and technologies for detecting and identifying life beyond Earth.